OOTP Season Sim Game 95: Jays win streak reaches 7

Toronto Blue Jays v Minnesota Twins Photo by Mark Brown/Getty Images

This is Thursday’s game.

There was a trade in the sim majors:

The Red Sox sent outfielder Andrew Benintendi to the Mets for second baseman Luis Guillorme.

Benintendi is hitting .252/.330/.459 with 11 home runs. Guillorme is 25, in his rookie season, hitting .223/.299/.260 with 1 home run. He’s decent prospect, rated very good defensively, but the Red Sox already have Jeter Downs.

Blue Jays 5 Twins 4 (10 innings)

Seven in a row. Life is good in sim Rogers Centre.

Matt Shoemaker didn’t have a good start. He went 5.2, allowed 7 hits, 4 earned, 2 walks with 9 strikeouts. You aren’t having a good season when you allow 4 runs in 5.2 and your ERA goes down.

But, once again, our bullpen was great. 4.1 innings of shutout ball.

Anthony Bass went 1.2 allowing just a single, with 3 strikeouts.

Jordan Romano (who has been having a poor season) also went 1.2 allowing a single with 1 strikeout. He got the win. He’s 6-2 with a 6.04 ERA.

Eduardo Jimenez pitched the ninth, getting his 3rd save. Giles should be rested for tomorrow’s game.

We only managed 7 hits but, after not hitting a home run the last two games, we had 3 today. The biggest one was by Cavan Biggio in the tenth. Of course, after his home run, we loaded the bases, with one out, and didn’t add to the lead. Very Jays like.

We scored:

3 in the sixth: Down 4-0 going into the inning. Biggio took a 1-out walk. An out later we had back-to-back home runs from Vladimir Guerrero and Bo Bichette.

1 in the seventh: Derek Fisher led off the inning with a walk and Travis Shaw was hit by pitch. Amazingly Teoscar Hernandez bunted them to 2nd and 3rd. A quick look shows that this is his second of the season (and also second of his MLB career, he doesn’t have a non-sim bunt). Fisher scored on a Reese McGuire ground out to tie the game.

Which was where it stayed until Biggio homered.

Vlad had 3 of our 7 hits, and Lourdes Gurriel had 2.

Randal Grichuk had a rare game off, though he ended up pinch hitting. Hernandez played center.

Let’s give JoDs to Vlad, Cavan, Gurriel and the relievers.

20,757 sim fans (I’m sure many of them from western Canada) come out to Target field.

58-36 looks pretty good.

Game 2 of the 4 game series with the Twins will see Nate Pearson (8-4, 2.85 in 19 starts, he might have a shot at making the All-Star game) against Kenta Maeda (5-13, 4.53 ERA in 19 starts).

I’m going to put off posting the Jays player stats until the All-Star break.