OOTP Season Sim Game 98: Jays lose in 13 innings

New, 4 comments
Toronto Blue Jays v Minnesota Twins

This is Sunday’s game, the last game before the All-Star break.

Blue Jays 7 Twins 8 (13 innings)

When you are up 7-3 going into the eighth inning, you really ought to win.

The Twins got 1 in the eight. Tanner Roark (who had a pretty good start, 7 innings, 11 hits, 4 runs, 3 earned, 2 walks, no strikeouts) walked the leadoff hitter. Sim Charlie took him out of the game and brought in Rafael Dolis (I don’t know why I have the urge to say sim Charlie, while I don’t feel the same urge to say sim Rafael Dolis). Dolis got an out, then gave up a single and a walk to load the bases. A run scored on a Cavan Biggio error. But Dolis stopped the bleeding there, and we were still up by 3.

Ken Giles, who was slightly tired after yesterday’s blow save, came in for the ninth. The first batter he faced, Jake Caves homered (his cane will come up again. After a strikeout and a walk, Giles came out of the game. He doesn’t get a blown save for this one. Not something that would happen in real life, but then likely should.

Eduardo Jimenez came, got the second out, and then gave up a home run to Willians Astudillo to tie the game. A strikeout got him out of the inning.

Each team got a base runner in the tenth, but that was it.

We had a hit batter and then two outs later, a single and a walk to load the bases, but Randal Grichuk flew out to end the inning. Anthony Bass gave up a single in the bottom of the inning but that’s all.

In the twelfth Derek Fisher led off with a single. He stole second but then was caught stealing third. Anthony Bass had a quick bottom of the inning.

In the thirteenth, Cavan Biggio led off with a single and would have scored on Vladimir Guerrero’s triple, if it wasn’t for Lourdes Gurriel hitting into a double play in between.

In the bottom of the inning, Dany Jimenez came in to pitch. Cave led off with a triple. Cave needed the triple to complete the cycle. A sac fly brought him home.

If we end up a game out of the playoffs I’ll remember this game.

We had 15 hits and 7 walks. Another hit, at the right moment, would have won us this one.

Cavan Biggio, including a home runs (15th) and a double and Bo Bichette had 4 hits each. Vlad, Grichuk (with his 17th home run) and Danny Jansen.

Cavan was hitting .193 on June 22nd and he is hitting .218 now. His on base was .284 (now .313) and slugging .318 (now .403).

On the Twins side, as well as the Cave cycle (and, amazingly enough had just 2 RBI, I’d bet most guys that hit for the cycle have more RBI, but I’m not willing to look it up at the moment), Nick Gordon had 5 hits, with 2 doubles.

The Jays go into the break 59-38, 4 games up on the Yankees and 7 games up on the Rays. I’ll put up the full MLB standings:

Yay, caught up again. The Jays bullpen (and I) can really use the break).

The All-Star rosters were released and the Futures Game was played. Also the Home Run Derby happens today. I’ll put all of that into a post later today.