Thursday Bantering: Blue Jays notes

New, 43 comments
Toronto Blue Jays Summer Workouts Photo by Mark Blinch/Getty Images

There isn’t a lot for Jays news and we are in a bad spot for analysis because we don’t have games with stats going on, so, as much as I’ve enjoyed watching the intrasquad games there isn’t all that much to talk about.

Little bits:

  • Jordan Romano looked very impressive yesterday, he looks like a sure thing to be a setup man for Giles. He and Dolis and maybe A.J. Cole could be a good group for the late innings. I guess my worry is, with a 60 game season, the team doesn’t have time to sift through the options. They either get it right at the start of the season, or they get buried.
  • The rotation is looking pretty good. I like Ryu and Shoemaker in the first two spots. I think they will have Pearson in the rotation after the first week. I’m hoping Roark is reasonable in the three spot. Figuring out the other spot or two is going to be the tough part. They have lots to choose from. Getting it right is going to be the tough part. I’m a big fan of giving starting pitchers a month before thinking about pulling them from the rotation. This year, you have a couple of bad starts, I think you have to be moved.
  • Boy, wouldn’t it be nice to see Travis Shaw play third.
  • I was going to put up a ‘who will be the Jays MVP’ poll up yesterday, but the way Bo has started, it would be impossible not to pick him. Let’s try it this way:

Poll

Other than Bo, what Jay batter will have the highest WAR?

This poll is closed

  • 21%
    Cavan Biggio?
    (162 votes)
  • 39%
    Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
    (305 votes)
  • 2%
    Travis Shaw
    (22 votes)
  • 1%
    Rowdy Tellez
    (12 votes)
  • 2%
    Randal Grichuk
    (18 votes)
  • 21%
    Lourdes Gurriel
    (168 votes)
  • 1%
    Teoscar Hernandez
    (9 votes)
  • 7%
    Danny Jansen
    (58 votes)
  • 1%
    Someone else
    (14 votes)
768 votes total Vote Now

Some links:

But it’s about more than the players. It’s about the trainers, nutritionists, and coaches who serve them. Some of the coaches are over 60, with underlying conditions that make them more vulnerable.

It’s about the stadium security guard who comes off his shift and stops for a couple of cold ones with friends on his way home, then returns to the ballpark the next day and stands watch at the clubhouse door.

It’s about economics and it’s about science, often depicted as natural enemies these days. In the U.S., science is taking a beating.

  • Arden Zwelling writes on Jordan Romano. He also mentions how slowly they will bring Austin Martin along. If he ends up in a game this year something has really badly gone wrong. And he says that Julian Merryweather has an oblique issue, so we won’t be seeing him at the start of the season.
  • Dirk Hayhurst talks to Jonah Sigel on his Press Row podcast. Dirk, as always, is very honest about things. Him talking about Zaun showing up with no preparation at all is interesting, but him talking about the sexism on broadcasts is hard to listen to. There is a story he tells about someone having a live video of a woman playing on his computer at the desk just before they go on air. I guess this will never happen, but I wish someone would interview Jamie Campbell on this subject. I know he can’t do it without being fired, but Dirk makes it sound like everyone knew. That there was pornography everywhere and that female Sportsnet reporters had things said about them and to them that shouldn't happen in any place of business.