Today in Blue Jays History: 10 player trade with the Astros

New, 8 comments
89th MLB All-Star Game, presented by Mastercard Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images

Eight Years Ago Today

The Blue Jays and the Astros made a ten-player trade.

We got J.A. Happ, Brandon Lyon, and David Carpenter.The Astros got Francisco Cordero, Ben Francisco, Joe Musgrove, Carlos Perez, David Rollins, Asher Wojciechowski and Kevin Comer.

Happ played for us for 2.5 seasons. He was hurt a fair bit of that time (one of the injuries was when he was hit in the head with a line drive and, surprisingly, ended up on the DL with a leg injury). In the 2.5 seasons, he had a 19-20 record and 4.35 ERA in 58 games, 50 starts. We traded him to the Mariners for Michael Saunders. J.A., was pretty bad for Seattle and was traded to the Pirates, where he became an excellent pitcher. He went 7-2 with a 1.85 ERA in 21 games. After the season, we signed him as a free agent, and he was very good for 2.5 seasons, before being traded to the Yankees. He won 20 games in 2016.Lyon finished 2012 with the Jays, had a 2.88 ERA in 30 relief appearances. He signed with the Mets after the season. 2013 was his last season in the majors. We took him mostly to even out the money some.

Carpenter threw 2.2 innings for the Jays. Then he had a couple of good seasons with the Braves. Then threw a handful of the innings for the Yankees, Nationals, and Rangers (just last season, after 3 seasons out of the MLB).On the other side:

Francisco Cordero was a 37-year-old reliever, at the time of the trade. He was pretty bad for us that season, and much worse for the Astros in 6 games that was the end for him.Ben Francisco played in 27 games for us, hitting .240/.296/.380 in 54 P.A. He hit about the same for the Astros after the trade. Then had a few at-bats with the Rays and Yankees the next 2 seasons.

Joe Musgrove pitched two seasons with the Astros, 2016, and 2017 and was 11-12 with a 4.52 ERA in 49 games, 25 starts. Then he was part of the trade that brought Gerrit Cole to Houston. In two seasons with the Pirates he is 17-21 with a 4.28 ERA in 51 games.Carlos Perez never played with the Astros. He was traded to the Angels for Hank Conger after the 2014 season. In 4 seasons, he has hit .215/.257/.317 with 11 home runs in 212 games with 3 teams.

The Mariners took David Rollins in the Rule 5 draft before the 2015 season. He pitched a bit in 2015 and 2016 with a 7.60 ERA in 34.1 innings.Asher Wojeiechowski pitched 16 innings for the Astros in 2015, 62 innings for the Reds in 2017, and 82 innings for the Orioles in 2019, which looks to me like a high school math test, what are the next numbers in this progression.

Kevin Comer hasn’t pitched in the majors.

If you consider that Happ likely wouldn’t have signed with the Blue Jays before the 2016 season if he hadn’t been with the Jays before, so let’s call the trade a win.

Beyond that, we could have used the pitchers we traded off as depth when we could have used some arms when we had injury problems.I remember not being thrilled with getting Happ, Alex Anthopoulos liked him, and, in the long run, he was right. It took a while, but he became an excellent starter.