The last pre-season game of the year and it was shortened by rain.
There was good news in the shortened game:
- Trent Thornton looked terrific. 3 innings, 1 hit (an infield single) and 3 strikeouts, no walks. He was very sharp.
- Vlad Guerrero hit a ball that might not have hit the ground yet. He crushed it over the wall and the billboards in left.
- Shun Yamaguchi gave up a single in his inning of work, a short fly that fell just beyond Cavan Biggio. He has a pretty cool hesitation in his delivery.
- Bo Bichette made a terrific play at short, going to his right, diving, sliding and then up to make a great throw to first.
- Biggio had our other hit, a single in front of Vlad’s homer. Apparently he was going to play center field in the bottom of the fifth, but then the rain game.
Beyond that there wasn’t much to talk about. Grichuk and Panik each took a walk. Shaw didn’t look great at the plate. Derek Fisher chased a pitch well off the plate.
The Jays season starts Friday in Tampa, presuming there is someone left in the state who doesn’t have Covid and can open up Tropicana.