Jays Win on Opening Day

New, 43 comments
MLB: Toronto Blue Jays at Tampa Bay Rays Mary Holt-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 6 Rays 4

One game, one win. With the shortened season and the expanded playoffs, our magic number for making the playoffs must be like 5 now.

I’ll admit, off the top, that I watched the game while having a couple of drinks.

Hyun-Jin Ryu looked very good early, he didn’t give up his first base runner until the third inning. He tired in the fifth. After giving up a run in the fourth (on a hit batter and a double), the wheels came off with 2 outs in the fifth, Hunter Renfroe walked and Yoshi Tsutsugo homered. After a double that was Ryu’s night. In total 4.2, 4 hits, 3 earned, 3 walks (a lot of walks for Ryu) and 4 strikeouts.

Jordan Romano got out of the fifth and got 2 outs of the sixth, but had some control troubles walking 2 along with his 2 strikeouts.

Anthony Bass got the last out of the sixth and pitched the seventh without giving up a base runner.

Rafael Dolis had a terrible time in the eight. Manuel Margot reached on a Bo Bichette error, just a poor play on Bo’s part. Then Dolis walked Brandon Lowe, gave up a single to Willy Adames (which scored a run), finally got an out (Kevin Kiermaier missed a pitch he should have crush, hitting a soft fly to center. By now I was pleading with Charlie to go get him. Ji-Man Choi walked to load the bases, but Charlie left Rafael in, and got Yandy Diaz to pop out and strikeout Hunter Renfroe on his best pitch of the inning. Thankfully we still had a 2-run lead.

Ken Giles got his first save of the season. A fly out, strikeout, a walk (to bring up the tying run) and a strikeout.

Offensively, we had a 3-run fourth and a 3-run fifth:

  • In the fourth: Cavan Biggio and Vladimir Guerrero led off with singles. Travis Shaw walked to load the bases. Randal Grichuk singled to score our first run of the season. And we had back-to-back sac flies from Rowdy Tellez and Teoscar Hernandez.
  • In the fifth: It was Danny Jansen and Bo Bichette who started things off with singled and then Cavan Biggio homered. Who had Biggio hitting our first homer of the year?

We had 9 hits on the day. Biggio had 2 and everyone else in the lineup had 1 except for Tellez.

Biggio gets the Jay of the Day (.136 WPA). I’ll give an honorable mention to Anthony Bass.

No Suckage Jays, but Dolis tested my patience.

I thought Charlie could have had a quicker hook today. We have 10 guys in the pen, use them.

On the Rays side, Charlie Morton wasn’t very impressive. They are going to need better from him.

Tomorrow Matt Shoemaker faces Ryan Yarbrough tomorrow at 3:00 Eastern

There was 1015 comments in the thread, I wasn’t missed. DangYouToHeck led us to victory

# Commenter # Comments
2 FlipDown Shades 77
3 Alan F. 71
4 jmsmorris 66