Guerrero and Gurriel homer, Jays Win

New, 71 comments
MLB: Toronto Blue Jays at Washington Nationals Brad Mills-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 5 Nationals 1

Lot’s of good things about tonight’s game (it is going to be a quick recap, we are celebrating my youngest son’s birthday):

  • Vladimir Guerrero Jr. got his first home run of the season. Also had his first walk.
  • And Lourdes Gurriel Jr. also got his first homer.
  • We scored a run after an error on Starlin Castro, which kept the inning going. Teoscar Hernandez singled home Joe Panik.
  • Rowdy Tellez got his first RBI of the season, coming up with 2 out and bases loaded, hitting a hard line drive single, driving in 2. Those runs were another gift from Castro, who made an error that kept the inning going. And he made another mistake, not called an error but that’s what it was. A comebacker to pitcher and both he and shortstop Trea Turner went to second. If he let Turner take the throw, it would have been a double play, since Turner was moving towards first and in position to make the throw there. Castro, wasn’t.
  • Brandon Drury didn’t look good at the plate, but made a couple of nice plays in the field at third. He’s still going to have to hit if he wants to keep playing.
  • Santiago Espinal had his first MLB hit in the ninth.
  • We had a very nice start from Tanner Roark. 5 innings, 3 hits, 1 earned, no walks with 5 strikeouts. He got pulled after 73 pitches. He was looking strong but I’m happy to have Charlie take out a pitcher early instead of too late. I’d imagine Roark could throw 90ish pitches in his next start.
  • Jacob Waguespack threw 2 excellent innings of relief, allowing just a walk with 2 strikeouts. He helped out his cause by picking Turner off first base after walking him.
  • Wilmer Font pitched the eighth and looked good, in his first work of the season. Throwing hard, picking up 2 strikeouts.
  • A.J. Cole got the ninth. He gave up a lead off double (just under Drury’s glove, though I don’t know that he would have had a play, but I’d have liked him to keep it on the infield). But then he got 3 straight outs. Boy he pitches slow.
  • We only had 7 hits and no Jay had more than one. But then the Nationals only had 3 hits.

Jays of the Day: Roark (.188 WPA), Waguespack (.166). Let’s give honorable mention to Vlad, Teoscar, Lourdes and Rowdy.

No one had the Suckage number.

Tomorrow the Jays are at home in Washington. We get to watch Nate Pearson. Max Scherzer goes for the Nationals.

The Jays are now 3-2. They are playing pretty good. It is nice to see.

For unknown reasons the Roll Call program wasn’t working so I don’t have the GameThread counts.