Today in Blue Jays History: David Price Trade

New, 18 comments
League Championship - Toronto Blue Jays v Kansas City Royals - Game Six Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images

Five years ago today:

The Blue Jays traded Daniel Norris, Matt Boyd and Jairo Labourt to the Tigers for David Price.

At the time of the trade, the Jays were 52-51 tied for second place 6 games back of the Yankees.

We would go 41-18 the rest of the way and finish first in the AL East and, well you remember the rest.

And he was great fun, being head cheerleader when he wasn’t pitching, being a fan of Rogers Centre popcorn and just looking like he was enjoying every moment. Alex Anthopoulos talked about his ‘clubhouse presence saying he was the best teammate he had seen.

And then, in the off-season, he signed with the Red Sox, which made us sad, but since he’s getting $217 million over 7 years, I’m glad the Jays didn’t beat that. He had four up and down seasons in Boston, fighting with media (well, mostly Dennis Eckersley and that is a plus to me) and dealt with a few injuries. In the four seasons he had a 46-24 with a 3.84.

In February he was traded, along with Mookie Betts, to the Dodgers. He, smartly in my opinion, opted out of this season.

The players we traded?

  • Boyd has turned out to be the best piece of going to the Tigers. He is 31-46 with a 4.96 ERA since the trade. He has made 2 starts this season, with a 7.20 ERA in 10 innings.
  • Norris has a 14-29 record and a 4.54 ERA in 87 games, 76 starts. He has missed the start o the season after a positive Covid test. He has been cleared to come back now. He’ll likely be in the pen, at least when he first comes back.
  • Labourt pitched in 6 games back for the Tigers in 2017. He last pitched in the minors for the White Sox in 2018.

We were pretty happy with the trade:

And we were right, it turned out great.