Poor start for Ryu, Jays lose

New, 72 comments
Washington Nationals v Toronto Blue Jays Photo by Greg Fiume/Getty Images

Nationals 6 Blue Jays 4

Second start and second poor start for Hyun-Jin Ryu. He just didn’t seem to have it today. Whatever it might be. He wasn’t hitting his spots. He’s not a guy that’s going to throw high 90s but he was throwing even softer than advertised. He was staying away from the fastball, and when he did throw one, you saw why.

He went 4.1, allowed 9 hits, 5 earned, 1 walk with 5 strikeouts. He threw a ton of pitches (93 in that 4.1) and seemed to get to a full count on almost everyone. He seemed to get to the point where he had to throw a pitch down the middle.

Maybe it is the shortened camp time. Or perhaps the heat got to him. Hopefully he’ll work it out soon. Maybe have Reese catch him next time.

Thomas Hatch, on the other hand, was terrific. 2.2 innings with just 1 hit and 1 walk. In his 2 appearances, he’s got 5 scoreless innings.

Wilmer Font had trouble in his second time out there. He gave up 3 singles, with just 1 out, to load the bases.

Jacob Waguespack came in in a tough spot. He gave up a sac fly but got out of the inning. He had a 3-up, 3-down ninth.

On the offensive side, we gotta start scoring more runs. Some hits with runners on base would be an idea.

We had 11 hits and 2 walks, with 3 home runs and we only scored 4 runs. We scored:

1 in the first: Bo Bichette hit the second pitch of the game for a double (a really nice swing, he hit another ball really well but for an out) and Lourdes Gurriel singled him home.

1 in the fourth: Teoscar Hernandez hit a solo homer, this third of the season. The ball hit a railing above the center field wall and, at first they thought he went off the wall for a triple, but the review was quick.

1 in the seventh: Cavan Biggio homered, his second of the season.

1 in the eighth: Teoscar homered again. He crushed this one.

Gurriel and Hernandez had had 3 hits each. They are the only two who are looking really good at the plate. Bo had 2 hits, both doubles, one in his first at bat, and one in his last, which gave us hope, putting the tying run at the plate with two outs, but Daniel Hudson struck out Cavan Biggio.

We had 0 fors from Vladimir Guerrero (0 for 4, hitting into a double play. He hit a fly ball his last time up, but just to medium left) and Brandon Drury (0 for 3). Well Danny Jansen was 0 for 2, but had 2 walks and he hit one to the wall in the ninth but Victor Robles made a very nice catch.

I don’t know what to thing about Vlad. Really the only thing they can do is keep sending him out there and hope things improve. Or call his dad and have him sit on the bench with Dante.

Derek Fisher came out of the game with with ‘left quad tightness’. We thought it might have just been the heat, he didn’t look healthy on the bench.

I mentioned that Bo doubled on the second pitch of the game. On the first pitch, the bat slipped out of his hands on the follow through and caught umpire Joe West in the side of the head. There was a fair bit of blood and West left the game, but he came back a couple of innings later, umpiring at third.

Jays of the Day: Let’s give one to Teoscar (just a .078 WPA, but I figure you deserve a JoD if you hit two homers) and Hatch (.094). Honorable mention to Gurriel.

Suckage: Ryu (-.309) and Vlad (-.144).

The Jays aren’t scheduled to play again until next Tuesday in Atlanta. Of course, with how things are going this season, I wouldn’t bet the farm on those games happening. I guess I’ll be catching up on the OOTP sim season.

We had 540 comments in the GameThread. FlipDown Shades led us to crushing defeat.

# Commenter # Comments
1 FlipDown Shades 46
2 vinnievanloewen 46
3 Tom Dakers 43