OOTP Season Sim Game 88: Jays beat Yankees

New, 2 comments
MLB: Toronto Blue Jays at New York Yankees
Don’t look closely at the seats behind Lourdes.
Noah K. Murray-USA TODAY Sports

A weekend away leaves me behind again. This is Friday’s game. It is a start of a big three game series with the second place Yankees. A Yankees sweep would put us in second again, but there is no Yankees sweep.

Yankees 1 Blue Jays 4

We got a terrific start from Hyun-Jin Ryu. Ryu went 6.2 innings, allowed 4 hits, 1 earned, 2 walks with 7 strikeouts. The 2 walks ties his season high (rather unbelievably), and it is only the second time that he has walked 2 batters. Ryu gave up his run in the seventh inning. He gave up a leadoff walk to Mike Ford (those leadoff walks always come around to score, right Pat?). Gio Urshela bunted him to second. Urshela isn’t having the same season that he had last year for the Yankees. He’s hitting .233/.276/.339 this year, after a .314/.355/.534 line last year. Yankee magic can’t last forever. Ford scored on a Miguel Andujar 2-out single. That was the end of the line for Ryu.

Shun Yamaguchi came in and got the last out of the seventh and pitched a quick eighth, getting 3 strikeouts in his 4 outs.

Ken Giles went strikeout, ground out, strikeout in the ninth, picking up his 19th save, fourth in the AL.

On the offensive side, we managed 7 hits and 3 walks. Our star of the game was Lourdes Gurriel, who had 3 hits, 2 of them home runs, and drove in 3 of our 4 runs.

All our hits came from the middle of the order, Vladimir Guerrero Jr., hitting 3rd behind Gurriel, had 2, including a double. Bo Bichette and Rowdy Tellez (hitting 4th and 5th) had a hit each.

We scored:

  • 1 in the first: Lourdes solo homer.
  • 3 in the eighth: Cavan Biggio took a 1-out walk and Lourdes hit his second homer of the game. After that, Vlad doubled and scored on Bo’s single.

Jonathan Loaisiga had a good start too, 5.2 innings, 4 hits, 1 earned, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts. But reliever Tommy Kahnle (never trust anyone named Tommy) gave up 2 hits, 1 walk and 3 earned in 1.2 innings. His ERA went from 4.50 to 5.16.

Having the second place Yankees come to town is good business, 41,266 sim fans came to a closed dome for the game.

Gurriel said “Winning is contagious, we are looking forward to the next game”. Then he said “You know what else is contagious, COVID, wear masks damn it”.

We’ve opened up a 3-game gap at the top of the division.

Tomorrow Matt Shoemaker (3-7, 7.55) is listed as Jays starter. He’s had four good starts in his last five, so there is hope. Jordan Montgomery (9-3, 3.39 in 17 starts) goes for the Yankees.