OOTP Season Sim Game 89: Jays win second in a row against Yankees,

New, 10 comments
MLB: New York Yankees at Toronto Blue Jays John E. Sokolowski-USA TODAY Sports

This is Saturday’s Jays game. I’m hoping to catch up before the All-Star break.

There was some movement in the All Star voting. We now have 3 Jays listed among the top 3 in their positions:

Yankees 3 Blue Jays 4

I didn’t think we had much hope in this one. Matt Shoemaker has been terrible, Yankees’ starter Jordan Montgomery came into the game 9-3. It didn’t seem like it would be our day.

Shoemaker wasn’t great, 5.2 innings, 7 hits, 3 earned, 4 walks with 5 strikeouts. He gave up 2 home runs. 11 base runners and 2 home runs in 5.2 makes the 3 run against seem very lucky. Both home runs against (Mike Tauchman, in the first, and Thairo Estrada, in the second) were solo home runs.

Our bullpen threw 3.1 scoreless innings:

  • Dany Jimenez: 1 inning, 1 hit, 1 walk, 1 k.
  • Brian Moran: 1 out. He got the last out of the seventh.
  • Rafael Dolis: 1 inning, 1 hit, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts. He picked up the win.
  • Ken Giles: 1 inning, 2 k. His 20th save.

On offense, we had 9 hits. Two were home runs, Randal Grichuk (14th) and Vladimir Guerrero (15th). Lourdes Gurriel, Vlad, Bo Bichette and Grichuk had 2 hits each.

We scored:

  • 3 in the fourth: Lourdes, Vlad and Bo started the inning with consecutive singles, scoring 1. After a Rowdy Tellez hit into a double play before Randal homered tying the game at 3.
  • 1 in the eighth: Vlad’s home run, which turned out to be the game winner.

Bo Bichette said “This kind of win will certainly make our fans happy.” Ummm yeah....all wins will make fans happy.

38,594 sim fans came out for the win, again with the dome closed at 22C.

Let’s give JoDs to Vlad, Grichuk, Lourdes, Giles, Dolis.

53-36, that’s pretty decent.

Nate Pearson (7-4, 2.81 in 18 starts) gets to help the Jays go for the sweep. A sweep would put us up by 5, making it very very likely that we would go into the All-Star break in first place. Gerrit Cole (9-5, 2.78 in 18 starts) gets the ball for the Yankees.