OOTP Season Sim Game 92: Jays win streak reaches five

New, 4 comments
MLB: Toronto Blue Jays at Boston Red Sox David Butler II-USA TODAY Sports

This was Tuesday’s game.

Blue Jays 5 Red Sox 4

Five wins in a row, 3 over the Yankees and 2 over the Red Sox. The team has had amazingly good luck with injuries. If that happens for them in this upcoming 60 game season, I think they will do pretty good.

Tanner Roark was ok, not great, but he pitched 5 innings plus a batter, allowed 7 hits, 3 earned, 1 walk with 4 strikeouts. The walk was to the batter he faced in the sixth. He left the game with the Jays up 4-2, but Shun Yamaguchi allowed the inherited runner to score, and then one more in the seventh to tie up the game.

But, after that, our bullpen didn’t give up a run.

  • Dany Jimenez finished off the seventh and pitched the 8th, allowing 2 hits. He got the win, he’s 4-1.
  • Ken Giles started the ninth. He gave up a leadoff double, then got 2 strikeouts and he was pulled. Something that wouldn’t happen in the real world, but he has pitched a fair bit in the last few days. Giles gets his 3rd hold.
  • Anthony Bass got the last out for his 2nd save.

On offense we had 9 hits and 6 walks. We didn’t get a home run, our only extra base hit was a double by Rowdy Tellez.

We scored:

  • 1 in the second: Tellez led off with a double and scored on a Teoscar Hernandez single.
  • 1 in the third: With 2 out, Bo Bichette singled, stole second, and scored on a Tellez single.
  • 2 in the sixth: Randal Grichuk walked with 1-out. Hernandez singled him to third. A wild pitch scored Randal. Reese McGuire singled home Teoscar.
  • 1 in the ninth: Red Sox reliever Brandon Workman walked McGuire, Cavan Biggio and Derek Fisher to load the bases with no-outs. Matt Barnes came in and Vladimir Guerrrero Jr. singled one home. That was all we’d score, but it was enough.

We scored 3 runs in 6 innings off starter Eduardo Rodriguez.

We had 2 hits each from Vlad, Rowdy, Teoscar and Reese (who was 2 for 2 with 2 walks). After a slow start, Reese is hitting .244/.299/.432. With his defense, I’d be happy with that.

Every Jay in the starting line up reached base, at least once, expect for Travis Shaw (0 for 4 with 2 k).

Sim Charlie Montoyo said “Reese is still learning, the sky’s the limit for him”. I don’t think the sky is the limit, I think a solid defense first catcher is his limit.

Let’s give a JoDs to Reese and Rowdy.

After drawing over 37,000 to yesterday’s game, only 31,943 simmed their way to Fenway today.

The Jays are now 56-36 with a 5.5 game lead at the top of the AL East. With 5 days left until the All-Star break, they are guaranteed to be in first at the break. At one time they used to say the team that goes into the break in first would finish the season first. I hope that is true.

Tomorrow Hyun-Jin Ryu (7-2, 2.98 in 15 starts) tries to extend the winning streak. Ken Giles will need the day off. Nathan Eovaldi (5-8, 6.49 in 18 starts) goes for the Red Sox.