clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Jays get a walk-off win

MLB: Miami Marlins at Toronto Blue Jays Timothy T. Ludwig-USA TODAY Sports

Marlins 4 Blue Jays 5

Tied, in the tenth. When the Marlins didn’t score in the top of the inning. We were in a good spot. Anthony Alford went in as a pinch-runner to be the man at second. Danny Jansen bunted him to third (excellent bunt, I’m not a fan, put Biggio on the spot against a lefty pitcher. I’d rather use Anthony’s speed to get to third). Cavan Biggio walked (excellent eye at the plate). Bo Bichette was intentionally walked to load the bases, giving a force at every base (with a 5 man infield). Travis Shaw up. Ball, strike, ball, strike (just barely), and then a hard stroked line single to win the game.

There was an interesting moment in the second inning. Lourdes Gurriel Jr. on second base, pitcher Elieser Hernandez tries to pick him off second, throws wide. Jonathan Villar, diving for the throw, rolls over and holds Gurriel at second base with his leg. The umpire signal obstruction, but the play is still going on. Gurriel trots to third, thinking he’s been awarded the bag and is easily thrown out. We didn’t understand. Nor did Lourdes. I’m of the opinion that, with the play still on, Lourdes shouldn’t be trotting to third. If you are going, and time hasn’t been called, run hard. I used to tell the little leaguers, when the play is on, play hard.

Off to the rule book:

(2) If no play is being made on the obstructed runner, the play shall proceed until no further action is possible. The umpire shall then call “Time” and impose such penalties, if any, as in his judgment will nullify the act of obstruction. Rule 6.01(h)(2) Comment: Under Rule 6.01(h)(2), when the ball is not dead on obstruction and an obstructed runner advances beyond the base which, in the umpire’s judgment, he would have been awarded because of being obstructed, he does so at his own peril and may be tagged out. This is a judgment call. NOTE: The catcher, without the ball in his possession, has no right to block the pathway of the runner attempting to score. The base line belongs to the runner and the catcher should be there only when he is fielding a ball or when he already has the ball in his hand.

I think I misread this before. Reading it more carefully it says ‘if the runner advances beyond where he would have been placed he does so at his own peril’. I thought it was if he advances he does so at his own peril.

So what this suggests to me is that, in the umpires judgement’ Lourdes wouldn’t have made third without the obstruction. I disagree. He would have been better off to hold at second and let the umpire place him if he is going to.

Hyun Jin Ryu had another excellent start. 6 innings, 2 hits, 2 walks (he wasn’t entirely happy with the strike one early in the game) and 7 strikeouts. He gave up a solo homer to Brian Anderson for the 1 run against.

He had to work a bit in the third inning. Jonathan Villar, with one out, hit a ground ball to Bo Bichette’s right. Bo got to the ball, but should have held onto it. Instead he skied one well over first (but it didn’t cost anything, Vilar didn’t move up). Next batter, Jon Berti hit into what I thought was going to be a double play, but Bo booted it. Ryu got another ground ball to Bo, and this one became a double play.

Ryu threw 92 pitches, so he’s pretty much up to stretched out to what we can expect this season. Somewhere between that and 105 is the most I’d hope out of him.

Rafael Dolis pitched the seventh. He had a 3-up 3 down inning, but he was pretty lucky. A hard hit grounder at Bichette, who made a nice play, but short-hopped the throw to first. Vladimir Guerrero made a very nice scoop. Then a very hard hit line drive to deep center that Randal Grichuk made a great catch on at the wall. And then had a line out to Travis Shaw at third. It could have been much worse.

Jordan Romano pitched a very nice eighth inning.

Anthony Bass pitched the ninth. He wasn’t good. He gave Jon Berti double to start the inning. Gurriel should have had it, but it wasn’t an easy play. He didn’t take a great route. A hard hit fly out to center. A Corey Dickerson hard ground out to Vlad at first (nice play by Vlad). Before the ground out there was a hard hit fly but foul. Then a walk, bringing up the tying run. Francisco Cervelli, on a 3-0 count, homered. That was the end of the night for Bass. He threw 31 pitches.

A.J. Cole got the last out of the inning. Cole stayed in for the tenth, with the ‘runner on second’ thingy. He gave up a long fly, to Logan Forsythe, that was originally called a home run but was Just foul. Cole, with the second chance, got him to strikeout. A foul fly ball to left, nice catch Lourdes, got the second out. Jays intentionally walked Villar to bring up Berti. A 2-2 wild pitch moved the runners to second and third. But Cole got Berti to hit a soft fly to center.

We didn’t do much offensively. Almost all of it came in the sixth inning:

Danny Jansen and Cavan Biggio had back-to-back doubles, to start the inning, and, in true Blue Jays fashion, we didn’t score. Being fair, Jansen couldn’t tell if Biggio’s ball would be caught, and there was no reason to take a chance with no outs. Bo Bichette followed with a home run (hit to almost the same place as the double, just a few feet further). Travis Shaw followed with a hard hit ball, but it was caught in CF. That convinced Marlins manager Don Mattingly pull starter Elieser Hernandez.

We got another run in the seventh. Randal Grichuk walked. After a Joe Panik strikeout, Danny Jansen walk. Randal scored on a single from Biggio.

We only had 7 hits, but we scored 4 runs for the first time in August. Thank God for that seventh hit.

Grichuk got on with 1 out in the bottom of the ninth but Panik hit into a double play. Just stupid to let Panik bat there, Tellez has power, go with the guy who can end the game.

Jays of the Day: Bichette (.223 WPA, 1 for 4, homer, and the intentional walk), Ryu (.220), Cole (.184, though I think he was more lucky than good). I’m giving one to Danny Jansen (WPA doesn’t know how to deal with the runner on second thing) for the double and for the very nice bunt and Shaw for ending the game. He did have a hard hit ball earlier in the game.

Suckage: Bass (-.352), Panik (-.202) and Vlad (-.145, 0 for 4) although Vlad did make a few nice plates at first base, including going a lot way down the right field line to catch a pop up. I didn’t think he would get there.

We had 688 comments in the GameThread. I led us to victory, and near stroke.

# Commenter # Comments
1 Tom Dakers 92
2 radivel 77
3 vinnievanloewen 61