Today in Blue Jay History: Rajai Davis makes the catch of a lifetime

New, 9 comments
New York Yankees v Toronto Blue Jays
We don’t have a photo off the catch
Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images

8 Years Ago Today

Rajai Davis made one of the most amazing catches I’ve ever seen.

It is pretty great that Rajai drove in 5 runs that game and that’s just a footnote. At the plate he was 2 for 5, both doubles, drove in the 5 runs and stole a base.

And we beat the Yankees 10-7.

But the catch:

Apparently Rajai practiced this type of catch.

The game didn’t really mean much, we were 54-50 after the win, 13 games back of the Yankees, in last place in the AL East, but I’m happy to beat the Yankees anytime. We finished 4th, 22 games back, passing the Red Sox on the way.

The rest of the game? J.A. Happ started and was good until he tired in the sixth inning giving up 3 runs, but that just made the score 10-4. Brad Lincoln relieved and tried to make a game of it, giving up 3 more runs, making it 10-7. Rajai’s catch was Lincoln’s first out of the inning with a runner on first. But Darren Oliver and Casey Janssen pitched the last 2.1 scoreless innings, getting a hold (13th) and a save (15th) respectively.

On offense, besides the 5 RBI for Davis:

  • Edwin Encarnacion had 3 hits, 2 RBI, both on his 30th home run of the season.
  • Moises Sierra had 3 hits, all singles.
  • David Cooper had 2 hits and an RBI.
  • Jeff Mathis and Mike McCoy each had a hit and an RBI.