FanPost

Get To Know Bo('s Knee Sprain)

Adam Hagy-USA TODAY Sports

Because we can't have nice things, Bo's injured. Sprained his knee. Want to know more? Read on. It's a closed body injury so there's nothing too gruesome to see, just some illustrations and words. I rate this one PG.

First, some anatomy. Here is your knee:

knee-ligaments-gettyImages-1077268080.0.jpg

So. See all those things marked "Ligaments"? Those are the four major bands of tough fiberous tissue that hold the knee together. Those are where the sprains occur.

Sprains are graded into 3 groups, each one more severe than the last. Keep in mind a sprain is a tear. A ligament is tearing or torn. No one has said which of those ligaments Bo's injured that I can find. No one has published how bad of a sprain it is, either. So we are free to let our imaginations run wild and imagine the worst or the best, as our inclinations and fluctuating humors allow.

Now, for purposes of illustration, lets say it's the Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL).

Here it is, all sprained for you, in the three grades of sprain:

knee-sprain-grades-illustration.0.png

Nasty.

Depending on the sprain and the number of ligaments involved, this could be 2-4 weeks to over a year depending on what's happened in there.

According to reports he felt his knee's issues prior to the first game on Saturday. Played that game and then not the 2nd game when he reported the knee injury. Hence, he can stand on it and run around, more or less, at full speed. Let us then assume that he's got no worse than a Grade 2 sprain and likely only a Grade 1 sprain.

hiv-treatment-800x400-small.0.png

Treatment

This is actually pretty simple: it's going to be rest, ice, compression, and elevation. The good old R.I.C.E. protocol. No one should be cutting on our Bo. Unless it's a Grade 3 Sprain. Which it isn't. I hope.

Prevention

Bracing the knees. A pair of sturdy braces followed by lots of post game icing of those all important knee joints. I'd rather Bo not end up like Andre Dawson so keeping inflammation down should be a priority regardless of if his knee is currently injured or not. It seems that occurrence of a knee injury increases your chances arthritic degeneration tremendously. So, now that this has happened, he needs to start looking after his knees like their treacherous failure is imminent.

Anyhow, I think it's optimistic we see him in 10 days. More like a month and he should be wearing knee braces when he's back.