Tuesday Bantering: Today’s lineup

Toronto Blue Jays v Washington Nationals Photo by G Fiume/Getty Images

Lots of changes in the Blue Jays lineup today.

Santiago Espinal is in at short.

Anthony Alford playing in center field.

Randal Grichuk plays DH.

Cavan Biggio plays right field.

Brandon Drury at second base.

No Rowdy Tellez, but it is a lefty pitcher. Not sure if it is the lefty or the blow to the head that is keeping him on the bench. No Teoscar Hernandez, it looked like he tweaked something last night.

Today's Lineups

BLUE JAYS ORIOLES
Cavan Biggio - RF Chance Sisco - DH
Randal Grichuk - DH Anthony Santander - RF
Travis Shaw - 3B Rio Ruiz - 3B
Vladimir Guerrero - 1B Renato Nunez - 1B
Danny Jansen - C Pedro Severino - C
Lourdes Gurriel - LF Dwight Smith - LF
Brandon Drury - 2B Pat Valaika - 2B
Anthony Alford - CF Cedric Mullins - CF
Santiago Espinal - SS Andrew Velazquez - SS
Nate Pearson - RHP Wade LeBlanc - LHP

Not much for Jays news other than that, at least until I hit publish, then they will announce a bunch of stuff.

All anyone is talking about is Fernando Tatis, Jr. daring to hit a grand slam on a 3-0 pitch, which got our old friend the Rangers all up in arms and throwing at Manny Machado. Why is it always the Rangers?

The good news? Rangers manager Chris Woodward was suspended for a game (I thought five would have been the right number) and pitcher Ian Gibaut gets 3 games for having bad aim for throwing at Manny, though he is appealing.

Personally, I’m irritated with Padres manager Jayce Tingler telling us that Tatis did wrong and that he had a take sign. First Tatis should never ever have take sign. After that, if I’m owner or GM of the Padres I’d tell Tingler to apologize for saying that about the face of our franchise. I’d suggest that people watch Padres games, even when it is a blowout, to see Tatis and that Tingler could be replaced as manager in 32 second and no one will notice.

Tingler is saying the right things now:

But why he couldn’t have said the right thing yesterday is beyond me.

Woodward is trying to back off things some too:

“I find it funny that I’m being labeled as the old-school guy,” the manager said with a nervous chuckle. “I’ve thought about a lot of the gray area in the game when it comes to the unwritten rules. We’ve moved past a lot of these things. The line is one (place) for one person and one (place) for the other. Just because I was upset about it doesn’t mean that I was right. Doesn’t mean that it’s wrong that he swung. I’m always willing and open to listen to discussion.

“Did it cross the line? In my opinion, yes. But maybe that’s because I’m scarred from the years I’ve been in the game and what I’ve heard and witnessed from people in the past. That doesn’t mean I’m right, though. That doesn’t mean that he was wrong to swing 3-0. Maybe that’s the new norm. Maybe that’s OK.”

I wish he could work in the words “It is incredibly stupid to throw at a player because some hit a home run against you. Acting like a hurt child shouldn’t be part of the game.”

I liked this tweet from Manny Acta:

Not baseball, but I’m sad to hear that Dale Hawerchuk died. He was my father-in-law’s favorite player. He felt Hawerchuk was a ‘blue collar’ type of superstar. 57 is too young.