It was long and ugly but the Jays win

New, 21 comments
Toronto Blue Jays v Baltimore Orioles Photo by Mitchell Layton/Getty Images

Blue Jays 8 Orioles 7 (10 innings)

We win, and we win ugly.

Well that was a mess. A long mess.

Extra innings again. In the top of the tenth, with Travis Shaw on second, Vladimir Guerrero took a walk (easily his best at bat of the game). Danny Jansen put down a very good bunt. Lourdes Gurriel grounded right at first baseman Chris Davis, but Davis threw home from a sitting position and bounced it and Chance Sisco, even though it was a good bounce, couldn’t catch it. Shaw would have been an easy out. But the run scored. Joe Panik followed with a four-pitch strikeout (gotta make contact there). Teoscar Hernandez, out with a tight back, pinch-hit, and struck out.

The Orioles half of the inning started with Dwight Smith at second and Anthony Bass pitching for a second inning. He got Hanser Alberto to strikeout. Cedric Mullins singled to center. Smith got a bad jump from second and then stopped almost half-way between third and home and was put out in a rundown. Smith still plays like he is a Blue Jay. Bryan Holaday popped out. We win, and we win ugly.

Pearson wasn’t good. He had some good moments but he wasn’t good. In the first four innings he gave up 3 runs on homers by Anthony Santander, a 2-run shot in the first and a solo homer in the third. The first one went further than I thought it would. I thought it was a fly out off the bat.

Then, after we had a hit-around top of the fifth and a 30 some minute wait for Nate, he gave up a walk and a Chance Sisco home run. He likely shouldn’t have come out for the inning after all that time sitting, but I’m sure Charlie wanted to give him a shot at a win.

If there were minor league games, I’d say he should go down to Triple-A, but since there isn’t I don’t see any reason not to keep sending him out there.

Shun Yamaguchi came in, got a ground out and them gave up a line drive double. Lourdes Gurriel made a throw to second and likely would have gotten Rio Ruiz, but Brandon Drury couldn’t get the hop. Tough play, but make it. Ruiz went to third on the error. A Renato Nunez fly to pretty deep left. I didn’t think Lourdes would have a shot at the runner, but his throw was pretty amazing. Unfortunately it bounced over Danny Jansen. Jansen maybe should have gone to get the ball before the bounce but it came right over the runner, it would have been tight to catch it and tag. Two assists that Lourdes should have/could have had. That made it a 7-6 game.

In the seventh, A.J. Cole got the first two batters out, then gave up an infield single, really unlucky. A double put runners on second and third.

Then Charlie intentionally walked Dwight Smith Jr. To me a stupid move. Smith isn’t a major league hitter. I hate walking the bases loaded, it puts a lot of pressure on the pitcher to throw strikes. Cole got a grounder down the first base line, Shaw made a terrific stop and threw from his knees. Bounced a little off line, but Vlad should have made the play. Because he didn’t make the catch, the tying run scored.

On offense we scored:

  • 2 in the third: Cavan Biggio walked and Randal Grichuk homered.
  • 5 in the fifth: Anthony Alford and Santiago Espinal had singles and Cavan Biggio walked to load the bases with no outs. Randal Grichuk doubled home 2. And then Shaw homered. It was a hit around inning, Alford started it with a single and ended it with a strikeout.

We had 9 hits. 2 each from Grichuk, Shaw, Lourdes, Espinal (give him another start) Alford had the other. Biggio had 3 walks. The top of the order, Biggio, Grichuk and Shaw reached base 7 times, had 6 runs and 7 RBI.

Let’s give JoDs to Grichuk, Shaw, Espinal, Bass.

Suckage: Vlad, Pearson, Drury and Jansen

We had 806 comments in the GameThread. FlipDown Shades led us to victory.

# Commenter # Comments
1 FlipDown Shades 90
2 Tom Dakers 81
3 radivel 67
4 EMK19 51
5 Alan F. 46
6 Minor Leaguer 36
7 Link Floyd 36
8 HeyBoyBlueisBack 36
9 Kate Stanwick 35
10 DangYouToHeck 33
11 Belisarius 32
12 Expo45 28
13 brols 28
14 fishedin 26
15 MapleMan 22
16 Chilango 19
17 WinfieldWantsNoise! 17
18 Matt W 17
19 Junior Felix, Jr. 16
20 newfan64 14
21 ice_hawk10 12
22 BlueJayMatt 12
23 JRW27 10
24 vinnievanloewen 10

Yeah I know the recap is a mess but I’m tired and want to walk away.