Blue Jays DFA Anthony Alford

New, 80 comments

and reinstate Trent Thornton from the IL

Toronto Blue Jays v Atlanta Braves Photo by Carmen Mandato/Getty Images

With Billy McKinney being the 29th player called up for the double header, the Blue Jays needed to make another roster move to reinstate Trent Thornton from the injured list.

Sadly, the move has been to DFA Anthony Alford, who outside of being an absolutely upstanding guy was the longest tenured Blue Jay.

By the number of “noooo” tweets filling my timeline, it’s clear Alford was a very well liked player.

The Jays are also now without a solid defensive option in center field outside of Randal Grichuk.

Alford was out of options, and most certainly made the opening day roster due to the extra roster spots allocated this year. Once a top prospect, Alford had tantalizing tools and all the potential, but injuries and stretches of underperformance has sadly cost him a spot on this team.

If Alford makes it through waivers unclaimed, he will be able to remain with the Blue Jays. If he gets claimed, we wish him nothing but the best wherever he ends up.