Jays win in extras

New, 80 comments
MLB: Toronto Blue Jays at Tampa Bay Rays
Three safes make an out
Mary Holt-USA TODAY Sports

Blue Jays 6 Rays 5 (10 innings)

Six Wins In a Row!!! A couple of weeks ago I wouldn’t have bet that the Jays would win 7 this season.

Extra innings are so weird with the runner starting at second.

In our half, with Drury on second, Cavan Biggio doubled giving us a go-ahead run. Santiago Espinal (who attempted to bunt earlier in the game and looked totally lost, striking out on a two-strike bunt), puts down a very good bunt. And Lourdes Gurriel hit a sac fly putting us up by two. Randal Grichuk followed with a double, but Reese McGuire lined one right into Aaron Loup’s glove to end the inning.

In the Rays half, Jordan Romano gave up a leadoff single, allowing a run to score and putting the tying run on base. He then got a fly out and a strikeout. A hard hit single (complete with loud F-bomb from Jordan) put the tying run on third and the winning run on first. But a weak grounder right to Jordan ended things.

We got a very good start from Matt Shoemaker. 5 innings, 4 hits, 2 earned, 1 walk, 6 strikeouts. He was saved at least 1 run by a tremendous throw from Lourdes Gurriel, mentioned below.

In the whatever choice you make will be the wrong one file, Montoyo pulled Shoemaker after 5 innings with 74 pitches.

On the one side: He’s starting his third time through the order (we always complain when a starter is left to do that. And there were some lefties coming up, bringing in a left-hander might seem a good move.

On the other side: We need a starter to get us some innings some day. And Matt was pretty much in control.

Personally, I like staying with a guy who is pitching well. I think I would have left him in until a baserunner (though we keep being told that reliever prefer getting a fresh inning). And my rule is that the more pitchers you bring in, the more chance you find the guy who doesn’t have it.

Charlie found the guy who didn’t have it right away. Ryan Borucki walked Brandon Lowe and Yandy Diaz (both of whom homered off Shoemaker earlier in the game). A double scored two and tied the game. A single put two on.

To me Kevin Cash made a mistake here by bringing in a RHB which got Charlie to pull Borucki. I’d have left the lefty batter, Borucki had nothing.

Rafael Dolis came in and allowed a walk, but stranded the runners.

A.J. Cole, Anthony Bass and Thomas Hatch each pitched a scoreless inning to get us to extras with a tie.

On offense, we scored 4 runs in the second inning. It started with back-to-back homers from Teoscar Hernandez and Vladimir Guerrero (both crushed, Vlad’s hit on a line, Teoscar’s more a high fly).

After an out Brandon Drury singled and Cavan Biggio walked. After the second out, Gurriel doubled home 1. Then Randal Grichuk ground one to second but beat out the throw. Biggio scored and Lourdes tried to catch the Rays sleeping. The throw easily beat him but a weird spinning slide had him called safe but was overturned on review. With two outs, I think it was worth trying.

We had 10 hits. Cavan Biggio had 3 plus a walk. Biggio for reasons that escape understanding was hitting 8th tonight. As it turned out he was in the right spot to double in the 10th, but it was a stupid move.

Grichuk and Drury had 2 hits each.

I guess it is worth noting that Vlad made a catch on a popup at the plate that Danny Jansen and Matt Shoemaker lost in the roof. It wasn’t pretty but he caught it.

Gurriel had an interesting night. He made an absolutely amazing throw from left field to get Yandy Diaz at the plate. And he had maybe the weirdest slide into home we have ever seen (called safe but overturned on review, tag barely had his hand touched).

Here is the throw:

Let’s give JoDs to Dolis (.255 WPA), Hatch (.140), Bass (.108), Cole (.089), Shoemaker (.088) and Romano (FanGraphs can’t get his number right with that runner starting on second).

On the batting side: Biggio has a .506.

Suckage: Borucki (-.495), Espinal (-.171, for an 0 for 3, walk, sac), Shaw (-.097).

We had 679 comments in the GameThread. Alan F. led us to victory (next time don’t make it so dramatic Alan).

# Commenter # Comments
1 Alan F. 77
2 Tom Dakers 74
3 FlipDown Shades 73