Blue Jays Rumors: Williams and Kuhl

New, 79 comments
MLB: Spring Training-Toronto Blue Jays at Pittsburgh Pirates
Trevor Williams, his hair fits in with the Jays.
Jonathan Dyer-USA TODAY Sports

Jon Morosi tells us that the Blue Jays are looking at Pirate pitchers Trevor Williams and Chad Kuhl.Jon points out that the Pirates GM Ben Cherington worked for the Blue Jays and knows the Jays prospects better than anyone not working with the Jays. I’m sure they have opinions on who they like best.

I think any starting pitcher will come at a very high price.Williams is 28; he’s been in the Pirates rotation since 2017. He has a 3.70 ERA in 5 starts this season. His strikeout rate is up from previous years (21.7% from 17.8 last year). ZiPs figures him to be worth 2.0 WAR in each of the next two seasons. He won’t be a free agent until 2023.

Kuhl will be 28 next month. He has a 2.84 ERA in 5 games, 3 starts this year. He has been with the Pirates since 2016 but missed last season with an elbow issue. His strikeout rate is up a bit this year, too (25.7% from a career rate of 20.7). He won’t be a free agent until 2023.

I’d give tryouts to Patrick Murphy, T.J. Zeuch, or Simeon Woods Richardson, before I’d give up a lot to get a starter, but I don’t know what the price will the be. Of course, I don’t think this is a season you give up the farm to try to win.

The team doesn’t have a lot of time before the deadline. On top of that, I’m expecting more injuries to the pitching staff. The short build-up to the season has taught us a lot about the value of spring training.

Lourdes Gurriel or Teoscar Hernandez might be on the trade block for a pitcher (which would open a gaping hole in the outfield). I would hate to give up on either of them.

We are going to see a bunch of these rumors this week.