Great start from Ryu, Jays win

New, 41 comments
Toronto Blue Jays v Atlanta Braves Photo by Carmen Mandato/Getty Images

Blue Jays 2 Braves 1

In his third Jay start, we got to see the Hyun Jin Ryu that we were expecting. Well, sort of, he did give up 3 walks (he had 24 walks last year in 29 starts), but he only allowed 1 hit and had the Braves off balance most of the night. There were two hard hit foul balls that weren’t foul by much, but he had 8 walks and a lot of swings and misses.

Ryu picked Ronald Acuña off first and we got him out in a rundown.

Ryu came out of the game after 5 innings and 84 pitches. I’m happy with Charlie for taking him out of the game before he started to tire.

Thomas Hatch came in and had an excellent sixth inning, getting a pop out, ground out and strikeout. He didn’t look as good in the seventh. Travis d’Arnaud lined one to the wall in let, Lourdes Gurriel Jr. made a nice catch. And then Adam Duvall took him deep to right field (making Gurriel’s catch more important).

Ryan Borucki got the last two outs of the inning, on strikeouts, looking just terrific.

Jordan Romano took the eighth, getting two 3-1 ground outs (nicely done by Vlad, that’s a tough play for a new first baseman) and a strikeout.

Anthony Bass came in for the ninth. He gave up a 1-out walk and single, but got a ground ball to Drury at third, who stepped on third and threw to first for a game ending double play.

Our pitchers only allowed 3 hits all game

It would be nice to build up a big lead and not have to sweat the ninth inning once in a while.

We scored 2 runs, but there were some better at bats than last night. We only had 5 hits and 1 walk. I thought we should have been able to do better against Sean Newcomb, who came into the game with a 8.22 ERA. Someone needs to wake up the bats.

We scored:

  • 1 in the second: Vladimir Guerrero Jr. hit a 1-out fly to the wall in center that was in and our of Ender Inciarte’s glove, for a double. It was nice to see him hit a ball in the air and hard. He went to third on a Randal Grichuk single and scored on a medium fly to right by Danny Jansen. I thought he was going to be out at the plate, but the Braves, for unknown reasons, cut off the throw from Ronald Acuña (who didn’t appear happy).
  • 1 in the fifth: With 2 outs, Bo Bichette lined one to short center, again Inciarte, sliding, had the ball in his glove, but dropped it. In my world that’s an obvious error, but was ruled a hit. Bo stole second and scored on Cavan Biggio’s single.

Bo had 2 hits tonight and had a long at bat in the first, before flying out. He looked a little better out there. He also made a terrific play, deep in the hole at short, and skipped the throw to Vlad (who made a nice pick on the play).

Vlad had the double to the wall (our only extra base hit of the game) and hit two more balls hit in the air. He also reached on a Austin Riley error. An easy throw to first and he dropped it. So, Vlad looked a little better at the plate too. And he made some good plays in the field.

Jays not to reach base tonight were Teoscar Hernández, Brandon Drury, and Anthony Alford. Drury did make a couple of nice plays in the field, including the double play to end things. I’d rather have him at third than Joe Panik.

FanGraphs is way behind tonight. Let’s give JoDs to all the pitchers. Ryu had a .303 WPA. I don’t know the numbers the relievers got but lets give JoDs to Hatch, Borucki, Romano and Bass.

That was a 3 hour game and I thought it was quick, so I must have been missing baseball.

We had 509 comments in the GameThread, DangYouToHeck led us to victory, while looking after baby. We have to up our games.

# Commenter # Comments
1 DangYouToHeck 90
2 Tom Dakers 65
3 EMK19 42