clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Game #10 Preview: Pearson vs Toussaint

Blue Jays (4-5) vs Braves (8-5)

Toronto Blue Jays v Atlanta Braves Photo by Carmen Mandato/Getty Images

The Blue Jays wrap up the series against the Braves in the rubber match of the series this evening. Gametime is set for the standard 7:10 EDT.

Blue Jays’ Starter

Happy Nate Pearson Day 2.0! The rookie flamethrower will be making his second start, after a very good first one. In that first start, he went 5 innings, allowing just 2 hits and 2 walks while striking out 5. His fastball looked great, while his slider was flat out devastating. Hopefully he is able to carry the success that he had from that game into this one.

I don’t have a whole lot to write about Pearson, so instead enjoy this awesome video overlay from the amazing Pitching Ninja:

Braves’ Starter

The Braves will counter with right hander Touki Toussaint. Toussaint will be making his second start of the season and his third appearance overall. In 6.2 innings, Toussaint has allowed 6 runs on 8 hits and 4 walks, but he has a very impressive 11 strikeouts over that timeframe.

Toussaint throws a split fingered fastball as his best pitch, something that he’ll throw in the upper 80s. He matches that with a regular fastball in the low to mid-90s, as well as a curveball and perhaps a brand new slider he has added this year.

Blue Jays’ Lineup

After facing lefties the last couple days, the righty on the mound will shake the lineup up a little bit. I expect to see Travis Shaw get his first start at third base since coming back, and I would imagine Rowdy Tellez will get the start at first base, pushing Vladimir Guerrero Jr. to the DH spot. I would also imagine Reese McGuire will be behind the plate today too.

It’s nice to see Vladdy and Bo Bichette hit the ball well yesterday, with Vladdy getting the ball up, and Bo taking a few more pitches. While I do appreciate the aggressiveness from Bo, it needs to be a bit more selective agressiveness.

Braves’ Lineup

Nick Markakis, returning to the Braves after opting out of opting out of the season, seems likely to get the start this evening after getting a pinch hit at bat yesterday in his first action of the season.

Matt Adams and Ozzie Albies headed off to the 10 day IL yesterday, while Freddie Freeman was also out of the lineup last night, but that just appears to be a normal day of rest and he’s expected back out there this evening.

Yesterday’s Heroes

Joc Pederson went 2-3 with a pair of home runs and a walk, driving in 5 runs to pick up the Monster Bat award. His big bat helped his Dodgers to the 7-6 win over the hometown Padres.

The pitchers are starting to get stretched out a bit more now, as 6 different pitchers threw 7 innings last night. Adrian Houser takes home the Pitcher of the Day award though, as he was the only one to not allow a run. He gave up 5 hits and a pair of walks while striking out 5 on his way to picking up the win in the Brewers’ 1-0 win over the White Sox. He’s obviously going to pick up a lot of WPA in such a close game, and he is our WPA King as a result, leading the day with a .505 mark.

Find the Link

Find the link between Nick Markakis and Carlton Fisk.