clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Game #12 Preview: Anderson vs Godley

Blue Jays (4-7) vs Red Sox (5-8)

MLB: Toronto Blue Jays at Boston Red Sox Brian Fluharty-USA TODAY Sports

The Blue Jays continue their series in Bean Town, looking to pick up their first win of this three game set. Gametime is set for this evening at 7:30 EDT again, so enjoy your saturday and maybe make your way back here for a game this evening.

Blue Jays’ Starter

The Blue Jays are expected to activate Chase Anderson before the game, sending someone to the already full Taxi Squad, which means someone will also need to be going to the Alternate Training Site, never to be heard from again.

Anderson was signed by the Blue Jays over the winter, as a hope that they could get themselves a solid backend pitcher. Anderson has spent the last 7 years pitching in the NL, and has put up a very respectable 53-40 record with a 3.94 ERA. A flyball pitcher, Anderson has had some troubles with home runs over his career, and when he is able to limit the damage of those, he obviously has much better results. We’ll see how pitching in the AL East works out for him, but I’m not holding the highest of hopes.

Red Sox’ Starter

The Red Sox will run out former Blue Jay Zack Godley. If you don’t remember Godley pitching for the Jays, that probably means you had a better August last year than I did. Godley made 6 relief appearances for the Jays, with the first coming a year ago to the day. He had a 3.94 ERA over 16 innings, so he wasn’t bad by any means, just forgettable.

Over his career, Godley is 37-31 with a 4.70 ERA. He had a great season in 2017, making 25 starts for the Diamondbacks and looking like he was on the cusp of being another solid starter. He went 8-9 with a 3.37 ERA and a virtually equal 3.41 ERA, racking up the strikeouts while keeping free runners off the bases and the ball on the ground. He hasn’t been that pitcher since then though, but the Red Sox are hoping that he finds some of that success with them.

Blue Jays’ Lineup

With Godley being another righty, Travis Shaw and Rowdy Tellez will likely be in the lineup again, I’m guessing with Rowdy getting the start at first base.

Teoscar Hernández starting in the 8th spot last night was a bad idea, and hopefully doesn’t happen again anytime soon, but to say I have no faith in Charlie Montoyo might be selling that a bit short. Teo has easily been the best hitter on the Jays’ this season, and is one of the only ones who even looks comfortable and confident at the plate.

Red Sox’ Lineup

With the Jays going with a righty again today, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Red Sox go with the exact same lineup as yesterday.

Alex Verdugo, who came over in the February trade that send Mookie Betts and David Price the other way, had his best game with his new team with a pair of home runs last night. After putting up a 114 wRC+ for the Dodgers last year, I’m sure the Red Sox are hoping he can at least match that going forward, and bursts like last night against the Jays will likely be something we’ll get to see for years to come.

Yesterday’s Heroes

Erik Gonzalez went 4-5 with a home run and double driving in 6 runs on the night to pick up the Monster Bat award. That amazingly wasn’t enough though, as the Tigers outlasted his Pirates 17-13 over 11 innings. Six players from that game finished in the top seven spots for WPA King, but it was Gonzalez with an astounding .871 mark that takes home the title, one of the highest totals for a player on a losing team.

Tommy Milone twirled 6 shutout innings for the Orioles, picking up both the win and the more important Pitcher of the Day award. He helped pace his Orioles to the 11-0 win over the Nationals. (I have triple checked this paragraph, and it is indeed factually correct).

Find the Link

Find the link between Alex Verdugo and Adrián González.