Another game we made a ton of mistakes. Just some:
Rowdy Tellez thrown out, I guess, stealing in the third inning.
Travis Shaw thrown out at the plate by 15 feet?
Cavan has a ground ball go right through his legs for a 2-base error in the seventh.
The bottom of the sixth was a strange thing. J.D. Martinez hits an easy ground ball to short but Bo Bichette threw high to first for an error. Next batter, Xander Bogaerts hits into an easy double play, Bo to Cavan Biggio but Cavan bounced it to second (this throw should be easy). Rowdy tried to corral it, but bobbled it, so we only got one out. Mitch Moreland singled to center, putting runners on the corners (I was sure Grichuk was going to throw to third to let the batter go to second, but it was one of the few moments we didn’t screw up). Next was a hard grounder, just over Kay, Cavan made a nice flip to Bo who spun and threw a strike to first for a double play.
It seemed to be a night where if we hit the ball hard, it found a glove, but if we hit something softly it found a hole. For example, in the seventh, Grichuk barely touched a ball, swinging bunt, but the third baseman couldn’t get to it quick enough, a single. Then Rowdy pulled one down the right field line, but Kevin Pillar made an amazing catch, running into the wall. Next Biggio crushes one, I said ‘it’s out’, but it was hit into that stupid ‘triangle’ in center and caught
Bo followed, hitting another to center, but this one went off the wall and we finally scored. Unfortunately, after a Travis Shaw walk, Teoscar Hernandez struck out.
We went ahead in the top of the eighth. Lourdes led off with a walk. Vlad popped out on a full count pitch (they sent Lourdes, I hated the idea, I worry that it would distract Vlad). Randal dropped one in front of Pillar in right, giving us runners on the corners. Rowdy hit a very soft grounder, I thought it was an inning ending double play, but it was hit too soft and second baseman Jose Peraza went to first, allowing the run to score. Looking at the play again, I think Randal was in the throwing lane, between Peraza and second base.
We had something called a ‘lead’.
We had very good pitching:
- Chase Anderson, making his first start of the season, had a couple of bad moments, but for the most part he was pretty good. He went 3 innings, allowed 1 hit, 2 walks (unfortunately all to start the second inning, so they added up to a run) with 1 strikeout. First time out, he was limited pitch count, and came out after 45 pitches.
- Wilmer Font had a tough time, giving up a hit and a walk, to start the inning and then got 2 outs.
- Anthony Kay came in with 2 out and 2 on in the fourth and got out of the inning. Then he pitched 3 more scoreless innings, despite 2 errors made behind him. Could really have been 3 errors, there was a ground ball to Rowdy and Kay was a bit slow getting to first and came up a little short of the bag, but they called that a hit. In total, 3.1 innings, 2 hits and 3 strikeouts. Nice to see him pitch 3.2 innings. He got the win.
- Jordan Romano gave up a walk, but got 2 strikeouts in the eight. Fourth hold for Romano.
- Anthony Bass got the save on a clean inning, but he scared me, giving up a long fly to right on which Hernandez made a good running catch at the track. It was only a few feet short of a game tying homer. Save number 3 for Bass.
We had 9 hits. 2 each for Bo, Vlad and Grichuk. 1 each for Shaw, Hernandez and Gurriel.
Only 1 extra base hit, a double by Bichette. We had more hard contact that we’ve seen for most of the season. I’m hoping it is a positive sign.
Vlad is looking better. He’s hit .353/.450/.588 in the last 5 games. There has been some luck in there, but he has looked better.
And Bo and Cavan have had some better at bats too.
Jays of the Day: Kay (.251 WPA), Bass (.235), Bo (.221, but also an error), Romano (.157) and Grichuk (.131).
Suckage: Biggio (-.169, 0 for 4, walk plus the error through the legs, and a bad throw on a potential double play), Teoscar (-.146, 1 for 5, but a couple of nice catches), and Vlad (-.132, 2 for 4, but a couple of outs when we need a hit). I think Rivera deserves a suckage for sending Shaw in the second inning.
Tomorrow is an earlier game, 1:30 Eastern.
We had 698 comments in the thread. I led us to victory.
|13||Drinkin' Wit' Terrell Farley||26|
|17||P.E.I Steelers fan||15|
|18||Pillar for President||12|