clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Jays lose on a walk-off homer

Toronto Blue Jays v Boston Red Sox Photo by Omar Rawlings/Getty Images

Blue Jays 3 Red Sox 5

We need to start scoring more than 3 runs in a game.

Thomas Hatch pitched a terrific eighth inning, 3 strikeouts. And he started the ninth off nice, 2 ground outs. But then he gave up a walk before Mitch Moreland took him deep.

Ryan Borucki got 3 strikeouts in the seventh and we wondered why he wasn’t left out for the eighth. Ryan came out for the eighth but was pulled when the Red Sox pinch hit for Jackie Bradley, bringing in right-handed hitting Jose Peraza. But there were 2 lefty batters following Peraza. Now the plan might have been to make the Red Sox bring in a pinch hitter, but Borucki should be able to do more than an inning by now. He shouldn’t be a LOOGY type.

Matt Shoemaker had a pretty good start, well, at least a good start pitching. He went 6 innings, allowed 3 hits, 2 of them were home runs, but still not bad, with no walks and 6 strikeouts. 2 solo home runs wouldn’t be too bad if we were scoring at all.

Defensively, Shoemaker was terrible.

In the third inning, Bradley led off with a single. Tzu-Wei Lin bunted. Shoemaker had a good chance for a double play, but he dropped the ball and then was too slow to first to get the out. Alex Verdugo followed with a ‘swinging bunt’ which again should have been a double play but Matt, rushing, fired the throw into left field, allowing Bradley to score. An unearned run. He did a terrific job not allowing more with runners on first and third and no outs.

Buck told us that Shoemaker was a good fielder, that he only had 10 errors in 108 games. He’s wrong, 10 errors in that few games as a pitcher is pretty awful. His fielding average. before today, was .906 (not that fielding average is a great stat), so about an error every 10 chances.

In total, our pitching allowed 4 hits, but 3 were home runs with just 1 walk.

We gotta start scoring. On offense, we had just 6 hits, 2 of them solo homers. Cavan Biggio and Bo Bichette had one each. They have been swing the bat well since switching lineup spots. Lourdes Gurriel had 2 singles. Teoscar Hernandez and Vladimir Guerrero Jr. had 1 each.

Vlad is looking better at the plate. And he made some good plays at first base.

Not looking good were:

  • Travis Shaw: 0 for 4, 3 strikeouts. The idea of hitting him third can end anytime now. Being fair, they can’t all bat ninth.
  • Randal Grichuk: 0 for 4, 3 strikeouts.
  • Rowdy Tellez: 0 for 4, 2 strikeouts.
  • Reese McGuire: 0 for 3, 1 strikeout.

On the plus side, no was was thrown out on the bases, but then we had very very few baserunners.

And, other than Shoemaker, the defense was good.

But, sooner or later we are going to have to score some runs.

Jays of the Day: Borucki (.096 WPA) and Biggio (.095).

Suckage: Hatch (-.223), Grichuk (-.169), Shaw (-.121) and McGuire (-.095).

Tomorrow is an off-day. Tuesday they play in our home away from home Buffalo. It should be interesting.

We had 358 comments in the GameThread. Link Floyd and I tied for the lead.

# Commenter # Comments
1 Link Floyd 55
2 Tom Dakers 55
3 Alan F. 52