Oh, I’m not going to recap that mess. Just a couple of points:
- Chase Anderson had a 4.9% walk rate before tonight. He walked 3 of 15 today so that’s 20%. I thought he walked more than 3.
- Anthony Kay had the same trouble with the strike zone. 2 walks, but seemed to fall behind every batter he faced.
- There was a fly ball that our outfielders couldn’t see and had it drop for a hit.
- There was a ground ball, with the bases loaded that should have been an easy 6-2-3 double play but Danny Jansen couldn’t catch the throw home from Santiago Espinal. Instead of getting 2 outs we got nothing, a run scored, and the next batter Dominic Smith hit a grand slam. It was a good throw, no reason why it wasn’t caught.
- And Lourdes Gurriel missed a catch in left. Being fair he made a pretty amazing catch coming in on a ball in the first inning.
- Vlad drove in our run, with a hard hit single off the right field wall. They didn’t show him running out of the box, but it he was going hard, it would have been a double. Randal singled and stole second to set up the run.
- Jacob deGrom is as good as advertised.
- Jake Waguespak did a nice job in relief, trying to get so some innings for us. I imagine he’ll be sent out after the game.
- Ken Giles pitched in the eighth. He gave up a home run to the first batter he faced. I saw a couple of 95s but he seemed to be leaning on the off-speed stuff.
- Santiago Espinal pitched the ninth. He gave up a run, but threw strikes.
- No Jays of the Day. I think each of us that watched that should get one.
- Suckage? All the Jays. By the numbers: Kay (-.230 WPA) and Anderson (-.200). I’d give one to Jansen for that error. The game wasn’t close enough for a batter to get the number.
From Minor Leaguer:
We had 521 comments in the GameThread. Pretty impressive for a game that was over early. I led us to crushing defeat. Never again will I have wine to start the game.