Jansen hits Grand Slam, Jays beat Yankees

New, 88 comments
New York Yankees v Toronto Blue Jays Photo by Bryan M. Bennett/Getty Images

Yankees 7 Blue Jays 12

This is a fun team to watch. I know the mistakes are irritating, but that sixth inning was so much fun.

All that really mattered about that game happened in the bottom of the sixth. In the bottom of the sixth, with Chad Green coming in to start the inning and Yankees up 6-2:

  • Santiago Espinal started it off with a walk. Terrific 10 pitch at bat. He’s been a surprise.
  • Danny Jansen flew out (but considering how his next at bat went, we will forgive).
  • Cavan Biggio walked (for the season time today).
  • Randal Grichuk hit a ground ball single.
  • Rowdy Tellez ground one down the first baseline, and Luke Voit booted it. We talk about how many mistakes the Jays make, but we aren’t the only ones that screw up. Yankees had a terrible day with the gloves. Espinal scored. 6-3
  • Adam Ottavino came in to pitch for the Yankees. Vladimir Guerrero ground one hard down the first baseline, but Voit played a bit off the line and couldn’t get to it. Biggio and Grichuk scored. 6-5.
  • Vlad stole second!! Even if we lost, this would have been enough to make me happy. He got a terrific jump, and it wasn’t close. I hope this doesn’t make him think he should try to steal more often but it was great. Adam Ottavino is terrible at holding runners on first.
  • Lourdes Gurriel singled on a nice line drive. Tellez scored. 6-6
  • Gurriel stole second without a throw. Gotta wonder why they don’t work with Ottavino on holding runners, Gurriel getting to second takes off the double play and get him into scoring position.
  • Jonathan Villar walked to load the bases (9 pitch at bat).
  • Travis Shaw ground a hard single to center (nice swing). Vlad and Lourdes score. 8-6 Jays.
  • Joe Panik (pinch hitting for Espinal) walked to load the bases (7 pitch at bat).
  • Danny Jansen hits a grand slam. Jansen had a 3-1 count, and I was yelling, don’t swing. This is why I’m not a hitting coach. 12-6 Jays.
  • That ended the game for Ottavino. You could wonder why you leave him in so long, but the Yankees, like the Jays, want to save some arms for the next two games of the series.
  • Luis Cessa comes in to pitch for the Yankees, but Jansen has already killed the rally, so he gets Biggio and Grichuk to end the inning.

It was our biggest inning of the season, and it was a ton of fun.

Other than that? Who cares.....

But, Hyun Jin Ryu wasn’t good. He gave up 3 solo homers, two in the first and one in the fourth. The two in the first were both on fastballs that were too much over the plate. After that, he went away from the fastball, but a changeup without a fastball is....well just a bad fastball.

He had a tough fifth inning, giving up back to back one-out singles, and then a two-out two-run double. Another walk had me thinking they would take him out of the game, but he got a strikeout to get out of the inning. In total 5 innings, 6 hits, 5 earned, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts.

Sean Reid-Foley had a tough time of it in the sixth. Sean had 3 previous appearances, 4.2 innings, 1 hit, 2 walks, 6 strikeouts. In this game, he got 2 quick outs. Then single, walk, walk, run scoring walk. If we didn’t need to save some pitchers, I’m sure he would have been out of the game here, but he did get a fly out to end the inning, just 1 scored, but the 3 walks in the inning were tough to watch.

Sean gets the win because baseball.

After our 10-run, Julian Merryweather came in. He was terrific again. 2 innings, no hits, 1 walk, 1 k. I thought they would have him pitch the ninth, but, with his recent injury history, maybe being careful is smarter.

Anthony Bass pitched the ninth. He allowed a leadoff hit and a double, but gave up just one run.

Before the sixth, it was a frustrating game.

In the first, we had two doubles and a walk, before the second out, but only scored one run.

The second started double, single, but again we just got the one run.

We got two singles in the third, with one out and didn’t score. And two one-walks in the fourth but again didn’t score.

There was a fair bit of bad luck, hard hit balls seemed to keep finding gloves.

In total we had 12 hits and 9 walks. Only the 1 home run. Everyone in the starting lineup reach base at least once. Even Joe Panik, coming into the game in the sixth inning, had 2 walks.

Gurriel had another 3 hit game. Vlad and Travis had 2 hits each. Biggio, Panik and Jansen had 2 walks each. And we had 3 steals, which feels like it should be a season high. Biggio stole third, and course Vlad and Lourdes.

Jays of the Day: Vlad (.284 WPA), Gurriel (.182), Shaw (.132), Biggio (.105) and Espinal (.104). And I gotta give one to Jansen (.076 WPA), but he had the grand slam (even if it killed the rally.

Suckage: Ryu (-.262) and Villar (-.124, 0 for 4 with a walk). I haven’t fallen in love with him yet. He had another error today. Travis Shaw had an error as well.

Brett Gardner had a tough time in left. He had two misplays on balls that he should have caught The Yankees had 2 official errors (Hicks a throwing error and Volt).

We had 718 comments in the GameThread. DangYouToHeck led us to victory.

# Commenter # Comments
2 EMK19 76
3 Tom Dakers 62
4 Alan F. 40