The Jays host the second-place Rays (one game back) for a 3-game series in Toronto.
Rays 9 Blue Jays 3
The deadline trade for Aaron Sanchez hasn’t worked out well for the Jays. Today he gave up 4 hits, 4 earned, 2 walks with 4 strikeouts in 4.2 innings, to drop his record to 0-4 with the Jays and raise his ERA to 5.53.
Trent Thornton wasn’t any better in relief. He gave up 2 hits, 3 walks, 3 earned while getting just 2 outs. Kyle Crockett allowed 2 more runs in 1.2.
And the offense didn’t do all that much. Blake Snell and a pair of relievers allowed just 6 hits with 15 strikeouts. Bo Bichette hit his 38th home run, but that was about all the fun there was in this game.
Rays 3 Blue Jays 13
A much better game.
Tanner Roark went 6.1, allowed 5 hits, 3 earned, 1 walks, 7 strikeouts. He gave up a pair of home runs, Nate Lowe and Kevin Kiermaier each took him deep.
Crockett, Anderson, and Thronton pitched in relief again, but this time didn’t allow a run in 2.2.
The offense had a great day, 12 hits and 6 walks including 5 home runs:
- Randal Grichuk had 2, getting to 27 on the season. He drove in 4 runs.
- Derek Fisher hit his 27th.
- Rowdy Tellez had his 20th.
- Teoscar Hernandez his 21st.
Danny Jansen went 2 for 4 with 2 doubles for 3 RBI. He also had a stolen base. Derek Fisher was also 2 for 4 with a triple.
Rays 10 Jays 1
A series win would have been a good thing. Oh well.
This one got off to a bad start. Nate Pearson walked the first batter and then came out of the game with ‘back tightness’. It won’t keep him out of his next start, but we needed him in this game. That one walk earned him the loss.
After that we sent up a bunch of guys to sacrifice their ERAs to the Gods.
- Wilmer Font threw 3 innings, allowed 3 hits, 2 runes with 4 strikeouts. He gave up a home run to Austin Meadows.
- Jordan Romano got just 2 outs, while allowing 3 hits, 1 walk and 4 earned. He gave up a Kiermaier home run.
- Anthony Bass got 5 outs, 2 hits, 2 earned, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts.
- Dany Jimenez gave up just 1 run on Meadow’s second home run of the day.
- Rafael Dolis was the only one not to come out it with a higher ERA pitching 1.2 scoreless.
Well, we only scored the one run, on Travis Shaw’s 34th home run. Other than that we had 6 more hits. Vlad and Fisher had 2 each.
The Jays are now tied for first with the Rays and the Yankees aren’t far back.
The Jays have an off-day (their bullpen really needs it) and then 3 games in Baltimore, followed by 3 in New York to face the Yankees.