Jays claim Joel Payamps off waivers

New, 21 comments
Arizona Diamondbacks Photo Day Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images

The Blue Jays have claimed Joel Payamps off waivers from the Red Sox. Payamps has pitched 7 MLB innings over the past two seasons for the Diamondbacks. The Red Sox grabbed him off waivers from the Diamondbacks back in November.

Az Snake Pit had this about him:

Sometimes described as wiry and lanky, standing at 6’2” and 200 lbs, Payamps throws a Fastball, Sinker, Slider and Change. If used as a reliever, he’ll mostly use the 4 Seamer and slider. His 4 Seamer averages 93 MPH, maxing out at 96. He may be able to add a little to that velocity working strictly as a reliever. His command has been inconsistent, but when he has it, he strikes out a lot of batters and can dominate.

Joel is a right-hander. He turns 27 in April.

If we are to trust the Blue Jays transaction page, Shun Yamaguchi has been DFAed to make room. Shun didn’t have a good time of it in 2020. He had an 8.06 ERA in 25.2 innings. But, since the Jays owe him $3.175 million this year, I figured that, at very least, they would see how he did in spring training before giving up on him.

Update:

The Jays have officially announced this now.