Sunday Bantering: Yamaguchi Released

New, 50 comments
Toronto Blue Jays v Philadelphia Phillies - Game Two Photo by Mitchell Leff/Getty Images

Happy Valentine’s Day.

There isn’t all that much for Blue Jays news. They released Shun Yamaguchi last night. I figured they would want to give him a chance in spring training to show last year’s Shun wasn’t the real Shun, but they decided to shun Shun now instead. They are up to their armpits in marginal swingman type pitchers, so it is understandable.

James Paxton signed with the Mariners, just a couple of hours after I said on the radio that I wanted the Jays to sign him. Such is life. He threw 20 bad innings in 5 starts last year. He would have fit in well with our staff, short bad starts. The team saw his ‘workout’ and has more information than we do.

On the other hand, maybe they have hit the end of their budget and aren’t going to spent on anyone else. I hope not. I’m wanting Taijuan Walker now.

Justin Turner signed back with the Dodgers. He wasn’t one that I was pining for. A 35-year-old infielder isn’t high on my want list.

Four days until pitchers and catcher report (though many have already). Next Monday everyone else is to report. The first game is on the 28th. I haven’t seen any announcement of what games Sportsnet will show us. One would think that, with the pandemic, they would show us all the games, but that’s not Mother Corp’s way.

I’m interested in seeing who they are going to have in the TV and Radio booths this year. I’d imagine Dan Shulman will be back, but it would be nice to know.

Enjoy your Valentine’s Day.