Wednesday Bantering: Starting Pitching

New, 96 comments
Wild Card Round - Toronto Blue Jays v Tampa Bay Rays - Game Two Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images

Happy Wednesday. Ash Wednesday and the start of Lent. Yesterday was Pancake day at our house. Every year I make far more crepes than the family could eat. I’m not religious at all, but most years, I give up something for Lent, figuring it is a good practice to prove I can do without whatever it turns out to be.

This year, I think I’ve given up enough stuff already, so I don’t feel the need, but I thought I’d ask if any of you were giving something up for Lent.

There isn’t much for Blue Jays news today. Pitchers and catchers are reporting to spring training, getting poked and prodded. And then workouts start. Real fake baseball is getting closer.

And Sportsnet still hasn’t told us what their spring training broadcast schedule is, or, for that matter, who their radio or TV broadcasters will be.

I’m glad there will be a full spring training this year. After watching all the mistakes made last year, I have a new appreciation for spring training after the short training time.

In old friend news:

I hope the best for him, but it does seem a fair bit of money for a guy who didn’t pitch last year and hasn’t been good in several years.

I’ll be happy to have MLB.TV this year to get a chance to watch him.

Does anyone still think the Jays will sign Taijuan Walker? We really could use a starter we can count on, but it seems that the team has spent all the money they are going to.

Poll

Will the Jays sign Taijuan Walker?

This poll is closed

  • 51%
    Yes
    (348 votes)
  • 48%
    No
    (334 votes)
682 votes total Vote Now

At the moment, our rotation looks to be:

  1. Hyun Jin Ryu: Who will have to pitch 7 innings every game to save our relievers' arms from falling off.
  2. Nate Pearson: Who will have some innings limit of some sort. I have a hard time imagining that he’ll average 5 innings a start.
  3. Robbie Ray: Last year, Ray either struck out or walked 45% of the batters he faced. If he has a good season, I’m nominating Pete Walker for the Level of Excellence. Not that it is an impossibility.
  4. Tanner Roark: Who has to be better than the 6.62 ERA from last year, right? He’s going to have to be an innings eater.
  5. Steven Matz: Maybe? He was good a couple of years ago. Again, Pete Walker has his work cut out for him.

After that? Anthony Kay, Ross Stripling, Thomas Hatch, T.J. Zeuch, or Julian Merryweather.

I would rather see Kay get starts than any of 3 through 5. I like the idea of Merryweather as a long reliever or swingman.

Let’s have another poll:

Poll

Which of the 2-5 guys will throw the most innings this year?

This poll is closed

  • 11%
    Pearson
    (84 votes)