Taijuan Walker isn’t coming back to the Blue Jays. He’s getting a two-year, plus a player option for the third from the Mets.
He gets $10 million this year, $7 million next year, and then, if he takes the option, $6 million for the third year, with ‘escalator clauses’ that could make it $8.5 million. And if he declines, he gets a $3 million buyout. I'm not a big fan of player options, but that’s up to the Mets.
If he’s good for two seasons, he’s likely to opt-out, if not he is guaranteed $3 more for 2023.
Would you have been happy if the Jays signed Walker to that deal?
This poll is closed
I do think the Jays are finished adding players in the off-season. I would imagine that they will look to add players at the deadline if they are in the race.
Spring training will be interesting, they have decisions to make.
This really is a great sound:
Turn up the volume and listen pic.twitter.com/1XI63c0Dlw— Toronto Blue Jays (@BlueJays) February 19, 2021
And this looks good too:
And we already get injury updates:
Some #BlueJays pitching updates:— Ben Nicholson-Smith (@bnicholsonsmith) February 19, 2021
• Patrick Murphy's injury is an AC joint – he may not be ready to start the season active
• Eric Pardino "should be good to go" after TJ
• no restrictions on Trent Thornton or Jordan Romano either
#BlueJays see LHP Francisco Liriano as someone who'd pitch in shorter stints (i.e. out of the bullpen). As usual, comes down to command for Liriano. "His stuff is still there," Ross Atkins said via Zoom today— Ben Nicholson-Smith (@bnicholsonsmith) February 19, 2021
Atkins also said LHP Tim Mayza has been "impressive" in return from TJ
I hope Tim Mayza wins the job.
And the Jays are saying that several players will be working out at multiple positions:
- Vladimir Guerrero: first and third base. Personally, I’d like them to put him in one spot and leave him there.
- Teoscar Hernandez: Right and left field.
- George Springer: Center and right.
- Marcus Semien: Second base and short. I’d think he would play short whenever Bo needs a day off.
- Randal Grichuk: Right and center field. I don’t know why you wouldn’t have him work in left some too.
- Lourdes Gurriel: Left, third, and first. Another one who I’d like them to put in one spot and leave him.
- Biggio: All over. I wonder if he will be the emergency catcher?
I have to add this one...just for the picture alone. I want to know how fair down his back the pony tail goes.