Blue Jays 1 Pirates 2
Yesterday there was a ton of offense and we couldn’t watch. Today we get to watch and no offense.
The two runs the Pirates scored were both unearned.
In the first inning, Thomas Hatch walked leadoff hitter Dustin Fowler. Fowler stole second, Danny Jansen’s throw bounced and got by Santiago Espinal. I thought he should have blocked it, but it was an error on Jansen. Fowler went to third. And then Hatch tried a pickoff throw to third, but threw it wide of the bag (to the home plate side), well out of reach of Vladimir Guerrero and Fowler scored.
In the fifth, Rodolfo Castro hit a high to fairly deep left field. Lourdes Gurriel didn’t look great going back on the ball but made the catch. And then dropped it a step or so later. He thought it was an out and didn’t rush to pick up the ball. It wasn’t called an out and Castro made it all the way around the bases. If you are going to make a play like that, it might as well be in spring training.
The Jays made another error in the sixth. Richard Urena, into the game at first, dropped a foul ball popup.
Beyond that, not much happened. Each team had just two hits.
- Thomas Hatch started. He allowed 2 walks in his first inning and made the error that allowed the run to score. His second inning was quick, fly out, ground out, strikeout.
- Tommy Milone got the next 5 outs, allowing 1 hit, with 2 strikeouts.
- Hobie Harris got the last out of the fourth.
- David Phelps had the unearned run in the fifth. He got 2 strikeouts.
- Tyler Chatwood gave up our second hit in a scoreless sixth.
- Kirby Snead gave up a single and hit a batter in a scoreless seventh.
- Jonathan Davis: 0 for 2. Covered a lot of ground in the outfield. .385.
- Austin Martin: 0 for 2, k, double play. Played CF
- Lourdes Gurriel: 0 for 3. K. .278. Looked awkward going back on two fly balls.
- Rowdy Tellez: 0 for 3.
- Vlad: 0 for 2, walk. Did get much work at third base, caught a popup. .417.
- Danny Jansen: 0 for 1, walk, caught stealing. .133.
- Reese McGuire: 1 for 1, soft hit double. .200. He scored our run.
- Joe Panik: 0 for 3, k. .267.
- Santiago Espinal: 1 for 1, walk. .300.
- Josh Palacios: 1 for 2. .375.
- Chavez Young: 0 for 1. Made a very nice catch in right field.
- Tyler White: 0 for 2, k.
- Leonardo Jimenez: 1 for 1.
Tomorrow the Jays host the Orioles. We will get the fixed camera view.