Yankees 8 Blue Jays 3
Last year, defense was a problem for our Jays. I am hoping things will be better this year. Today damaged that hope:
- Easily fly to center field, easily catchable by the CFer, but Cavan Biggio ended up going after it and didn’t get there, letting it fall to the ground. It should have been the third out. The CF should be taking charge out there. Making it worse, Tanner Roark gave up a 3-run homer to the next batter.
- Runner stealing, Danny Jansen makes a very good throw to second (his second good throw of the game, catching the runner the other time), but Bo drops it.
- Next better singles to left, Biggio throws home when he has no shot at the runner, allowing the batter to get to second.
Tanner Roark had a terrible first inning, giving up 4 hits and a walk, and 4 earned, getting just one out before being pulled. The mound was very muddy, which might have caused him some difficulty.
This being spring, he came out for the second. It was a better inning, giving up just a leadoff double, but had a few hard-hit balls. The third inning was going better until the fly ball wasn’t caught. I do hate that those things aren’t called errors, but such is life.
In total, he went 2.1, allowed 8 hits, 7 earned, 1 walk with 5 strikeouts. He’s had a good spring until today, so I’m willing to give a mulligan (I almost typed Mulliniks, that would work too) on this one if he has a better day next time out.
- Anthony Castro: got the last 2 outs of the first.
- A.J. Cole: 1 inning, 1 hit, 1 walk, 1 k.
- Birthday Boy Anthony Kay: 4 innings, 2 hits, 1 earned, 2 walks, 3 k.
- Kirby Snead: 1 inning, 1 hit, 1 k.
Gerrit Cole had a bit of a tough time in the first, but got a couple of calls on the corners and got out of it. He complained some about the muddy mound too.
- George Springer: 0 for 3, k. .240. Hit one to the wall in his first at-bat that Buck thought was out.
- Cavan Biggio: 1 for 3, 2 k. .250. Had the two misadventures in the outfield.
- Bo Bichette: 0 for 3, 3 strikeouts. .207. Got robbed on a couple of strike calls.
- Vladimir Guerrero: 0 for 1, walk. I thought he got a third plate appearance?
- Teoscar Hernandez: 1 for 3, 2 k, home run. .269.
- Marcus Semien: 1 for 2, home run, k. .212. I think this is the first time he hasn’t hit second.
- Randal Grichuk: 2 for 3. .308.
- Joe Panik: 0 for 2, both double-play balls. ..304.
- Kevin Smith: 1 for 1, home run.
- Danny Jansen: 0 for 2. .160. He had nice catch stealing and another throw that would have been a caught stealing but it was dropped.
- Richard Urena: 1 for 1, double.
- Tyler White: 1 for 2, double.
Tomorrow's game is on Sportsnet again, but it is a night game. Start time 6:30 Eastern.