Blue Jays 5 Yankees 0
The Jays are now 14-8, having a very very nice spring. Well, other than the injuries.
The star of the game was Bo Bichette. Two home runs and a single in three at-bats. He seems to be heating up, so we should start the season now.
Trent Thornton had a very good start. 3 inning, 3 hits, all singles, 1 walk, and 3 strikeouts. His fastball was in the 92-93 range and threw a number of changeups and curves. 47 pitches in all.
Simeon Woods Richardson was also impressive. 3 innings, 2 singles, 4 strikeouts. Filled the strike zone. Again 92-93 on the fastball.
AJ Cole gave up a double but got 3 strikeouts in his inning. He might benefit from the little rash of injuries and get a spot in the bullpen.
Anthony Castro pitched the eighth (not words I expect to type during the season). Quick inning with a strikeout.
Jackson Rees got the ninth. He went walk, ground out, strikeout, hit batter, strikeout.
- Marcus Semien: 1 for 3, 2 strikeouts. .256. He made a couple of nice plays at second.
- Randal Grichuk: 0 for 4. .242. Playing CF. He might end up starting the season there if Springer can’t.
- Teoscar Hernandez: 1 for 1, home run, walk. .250. He crushed a ball to CF, 445 feet by statscast.
- Vladimir Guerrero: 1 for 3, k. .500. He made a great play on defense. Ground ball down the third base line picked it up, touched third, and made a strong off-balance throw to first, right on target for the double play. I’ll put up a tweet with the play.
- Rowdy Tellez: 1 for 4, k. .209. He’s looking a little better at the plate than he had been for a couple of weeks there.
- Jonathan Davis: 1 for 2, with a walk, .321. He was also picked off first base.
- Reese McGuire: 0 for 2, walk. .200.
- Breyvic Valera: 0 for 3. .100. Playing first, he had a hard-hit ground ball go off him but he didn’t panic, chased down the ball, and made a nice toss to Thornton (who thankfully didn’t quit on the play either).
Tomorrow Jays host the Tigers. I don’t think it is being broadcast. Likely we will get the single-camera thing. It is a night game.
SLIM DADDY VLADDY pic.twitter.com/DxUSRQBRXL— Talkin’ Baseball (@TalkinBaseball_) March 24, 2021