Phillies 5 Blue Jays 6 Walk-off Win
Jays are now 15-8 on the spring. I know the excellent record doesn’t mean much for the season, but I like wins.
Not the best outing for Hyun Jin Ryu. He only gave up 1 run in the first 4 innings but gave up 6 hits, a walk and hit batter, but just one run. The fifth inning didn’t go well. A Bryce Harper home run and a Rhys Hoskins double, plus a hard-hit ground ball right back to him for an out and that was the game for him. And he only got the first two outs of the third inning, with Ty Tice getting the last out. In total 4 innings, 8 hits, 3 earned (one after he came out of the game), 1 walk, 5 strikeouts.
- Tyler Chatwood: Came in with a runner on second, one out in the fifth, and had a rough time. 3 hits, 1 walk, 2 earned, 1 strikeout.
- Julian Merryweather looked good in his first game of the spring. 1 inning, 1 walk. Topped out at 98.2 MPH. Should be on the roster to start the season.
- Francisco Liriano: gave up 2 hits, but got out of his inning without a run scoring. had a strikeout.
- Tim Mayza: 1 inning, 1 hit, 1 walk, no runs. He got up to 95.3 on the fastball. I’d like him to make the team, but I think it is more likely he will start in the minors.
- Joel Payamps: 1 inning, 1 hit, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts. I’m thinking we have a contest to pick the date the Red Sox claim Joel back on waivers.
- Marcus Semien: 0 for 3, k. .217.
- Cavan Biggio: 0 for 2, walk. . 222. He’s looking good at third to me.
- Vladimir Guerrero: 1 for 3, home run, walk. .572. Crushed the home run and, in the at bat before the home run, hit one to the wall in center. I thought he hit that one out too.
- Teoscar Hernandez: 0 for 3, k. .237.
- Rowdy Tellez: 0 for 3, 2 k. .196. He has just a few games left to find his swing.
- Lourdes Gurriel: 0 for 2, walk. .225.
- Joe Panik: 1 for 2, double. .310.
- Danny Jansen: 1 for 3, walk. .161. I wonder if he is catcher #1 or catcher #2.
- Josh Palacios: 0 for 1, 2 walks. .400.
And the replacements:
- Santiago Espinal: 0 for 2. .357.
- Kevin Smith: 0 for 1, walk. .176. Made 2 excellent throws from third base.
- Orelvis Martinez: Walk. .222.
- Logan Warmoth: 0 for 2. .300.
- Richard Urena: 1 for 2. .216. Drove in the walk-off run.
- Cullen Large: 1 for 1, double. .222.
- Breyvic Valera: 2 for 2, home run. .156.
- Forrest Wall: 1 for 1, triple. .360.
Tomorrow the Jays travel to Tampa to play the Yankees. And it is on TV.