Astros 13 Blue Jays 1
Mistakes were made. Several:
- In the fourth inning, in a scoreless game. Aledmys Diaz ‘singled’ to left. Lourdes Gurriel picks up the ball and fires it towards the infield, ignoring Bo Bichette set up as cutoff man, and missing second base by 15 feet, allowing Diaz to beat Marcus to second. If Lourdes had thrown it to Bo, Diaz stays at first, or if his throw is close to second, he stays at first. He came around to score.
- In the fifth, a Myles Straw ground ball that is just off Bichette’s glove. Bo seemed slow going to chase it and Gurriel decided not to chase it, by the time Bo turned on the jets Straw was in at second. I don’t know, I think Bo figured Lourdes would get it. A ground out and a sac fly scored Straw.
- In the sixth, Yuli Gurriel hit a single up the middle, but Randal Grichuk didn’t pick it up cleaning and Yuli continued into second. A couple of walks later, Martin Maldonado sliced a fly ball to left that barely cleared the wall, hit 92 MPH, 364 feet. Statcast had it at a .050 expected batting average. But cheap or not, it was a grand slam.
- And just to show we could mess up on offense, in the seventh, down 8-0, Danny Jansen popped one to right field, that the right-fielder lost. Jansen, jogging up the first baseline, started running when the ball dropped and was thrown out at second. Down 8, that’s not a good look.
- And, in the eight, Teoscar Hernandez dropped a fairly easy fly ball.
Hyun Jin Ryu wasn’t sharp. He got unlucky, but he wasn’t his usual self. He went 5.2, allowed 7 hits, 7 runs, 6 earned, with 3 walks, and just 1 strikeout. I’d imagine it was his first outing with more walks than strikeouts this year.
Carl Edwards got 4 outs, giving up a run on a home run.
Tyler Chatwood? Well, he didn’t walk anyone. Nor did he get anyone out. 6 hits, 5 earned, with a home run. I don’t know what is going on with him but he isn’t right. Is it confidence? An injury? A hex?
Andrew Beasley was the next sent out to slaughter. He actually had 2 very good, scoreless innings.
On offense, we were just as good as on defense. Just 6 hits on the night. Our run was a Grichuk home run.
Our offense was so bad that Zack Greinke threw a complete game. For those of you under 50, a complete game is where the same pitcher that starts the game finishes it. Yeah I know, sounds like sorcery.
Jays of the Day: Are you kidding? Though Beasley deserves an honorable mention for speeding things along.
Suckage: Ryu (-.203) and the defense. I guess it is worth noting that Randal had the worse mark (-.090) even though he hit our home run. But then we were so far behind that the home run didn’t help our chances of winning.
Tomorrow’s game is a 3:00 Eastern start. It has to be better than today’s, right?
We had 452 comments in the GameThread. EMK19 led us to, well, drink.