Red Sox A Bakers Dozen Blue Jays 4
This one was over before we got our second out of the first inning.
Ross Stripling didn’t have it. It is too bad, he was on such a good run coming into the All-Star break. Hopefully, he can get it back together in his next start.
Ross’s evening went double, home run, groundout, walk, double, walk, grand slam and that was it. Seven batters faced one out, 7 earned with 2 home runs.
Anthony Kay came in and gave up 2 more runs before getting out of the inning. Kay gave up 3 more runs in the second, before leaving with two outs. We could have used some innings out of Kay. I figured he would be out there for five innings and get a trip to Trenton for his troubles. He may still be going to Trenton, he threw 50 pitches, getting just 4 outs, giving up 5 runs.
Two innings in and we were down 11-0.
Not much mattered after that:
- Jacob Barnes got four outs, no runs allowed.
- Trevor Richards gave up a run in his inning.
- Taylor Saucedo gave up a run in his two innings.
- Ryan Borucki, Adam Cimber, and Tim Mayza had a scoreless inning each.
On offense, we had a four-run fourth, but that was it for scoring:
- Vlad walked.
- Springer singled, Vlad went first to third (pretty close play at third, which seemed to get the team pumped up for a moment, Springer got to second).
- Teoscar Hernandez scored Vlad on a ground out.
- Randal Grichuk scored Springer on a sac fly.
- Cavan Biggio homered.
- Lourdes Gurriel singled.
- Reese McGuire singled.
- Marcus Semien walked to load the bases.
- Bo Bichette had an infield single.
- Vlad was up, with the bases load, but hit a soft fly out.
We did have 11 hits and 2 walks, but the 1 for 12 with RISP isn’t going to bring you back with you are down a dozen. We hit into two double plays.
Springer had 3 hits. Bo and Lourdes had 2 each. Vlad and Teoscar had the only 0 fors n among the starters. Vlad had 2 strikeouts.
No Jays of the Day.
Suckage: Stripling (-.401 WPA). You could give Kay one too, but the game was over by the time Ross came out of the game.
Tomorrow we should get to see Thomas Hatch (unless they go with an opener), filling in for the injured Alek Manoah. Garrett Richards (5-5, 4.91) goes for the Red Sox.
We had 388 comments in the GameThread. I led us to total defeat.