Blue Jays 8 Mariners 3
That was better.
The Jays hit 4 home runs, had 12 hits, scored runs early and late. They played much more like the Blue Jays.
Teoscar Hernandez and Santiago Espinal had 3 hits each. Corey Dickerson had 2 hits, including his first home run as a Blue Jay.
- 3 in the second: Teoscar led off with a home run. Dickerson singled, and Randal Grichuk homered.
- 2 in the third: One-out singles from Vlad and Teoscar and a Kirk double.
- 1 in the fifth: Teoscar doubled. Then got caught between second and third, but M’s catcher Cal Raleigh threw wide of the shortstop, and Teoscar scored. Bad baserunning wins out again.
- 1 in the eighth: Dickerson homered.
- 1 in the ninth: Marcus Semien homered.
The only Jays to go 0 for were Breyvic Valera and Bo Bichette. Bo had a very rough day going 0 for 5 with 5 strikeouts. It looks like the pain in his shins is making batting tougher.
Steven Matz didn’t exactly look sharp, he gave out 3 walks in his 5 innings, but only 3 hits, no earned runs. He had 1 run against but came on a single, a couple of wild pitches, and a passed ball. He got all the luck the team didn’t have in the first two games of the series, but he made the pitches when he needed to.
And our pen did a good job:
- Brad Hand gave up a hit but had 2 strikeouts in his scoreless.
- Tayler Saucedo had a quick clean inning.
- Adam Cimber fought through some of the issues he had the other night, giving up a hit and a home run, but go out of the inning.
- Jordon Romano got two strikeouts, then gave up a hard-hit ball to left that Dickerson got a glove on but dropped for a double. And then JP Crawford fouled off 7 pitches before taking a walk. He got a comebacker right to his glove to end the game.
Jays of the Day: Teoscar (.174 WPA), Grichuk (.167), Kirk (.101) and Matz (.092).
No one had the suckage number, I’d give one to Bo, but I think he is battling through pain.
Tomorrow is an off-day, then two games in Washington, before another off-day.
We had 301 comments in the GameThread. I led us to a much-needed win. Since I led, we can call it a must-win.