Great start from Ray, and just enough offense

New, 70 comments
Chicago White Sox v Toronto Blue Jays Photo by Mark Blinch/Getty Images

White Sox 1 Blue Jays 3

Once again Robbie Ray was just terrific. 7 innings, 5 hits (all singles), 1 earned, 1 walk, and 14 strikeouts. There was a tweet saying the 14 strikeouts was a first for a Blue Jays lefty.

The run against was a very unlucky thing. Soft single from Leury Garcia to start the inning. Two strikeouts. In there Garcia stole two bases. I don’t think Ray and Kirk are a good combination for stopping stolen bases. Then Yoan Moncada just sliced one off, getting enough of it to go over the first baseman, and just fair.

But, other than that, the White Sox didn’t come close to scoring against Ray.

Offensively, once again we didn’t do a heck of a lot.

We scored:

One in the fourth: With one out Vlad hit a hard line drive single (105.8 MPH). An out later, Corey Dickerson tripled. It was run watching Vlad motor around the bases.

Two in the eighth: With two outs (after Vlad was robbed on a clear ball four-pitch), Teoscar Hernandez singled. Breyvic Valera pinch hit for Dickerson (against a lefty, smart to pinch-hit for him, but Valera?). Despite my doubts, Breyvic ground a single the other way. Alejandro Kirk followed and hit one down the line in right which I thought was going to score us a run or two, but it went just foul. I thought we missed our chance, but Kirk lined one to center (102.3 MPH, he had two harder hit balls, but both caught, with xBAs of .740 and .720). It was a huge hit giving us the lead.

After that, we two on, Lourdes Gurriel bounced one down the third-base line, that got under Moncada’s glove for an error. I thought it was going to score a run, but Tim Anderson, playing short, backed up the play, and Rivera stopped Valera, thankfully.

Bases loaded, and La Russa brings in a new pitcher, Jose Ruiz walked Randal Grichuk on four pitches, bringing in an insurance run. Unfortunately, that’s where the scoring ended, but it was enough.

We had 8 hits on the day. The only Jay with 2 hits was Dickerson. Vlad and Espinal both had a hit and a walk. The only Jays starters not to reach base were Bo Bichette and Lourdes Gurriel.

Maybe time to move Bo from the leadoff spot? I don’t know who to put in there. I guess leave Bo until Springer is back.

Tim Mayza (getting the win) and Jordan Romano (13th save) each had a nice inning of relief. Both were great, though Romano didn’t get a strikeout.

I think Kirk deserves mention for his end-of-game interview, done through an interpreter, until the last question when Arash mentioned that he was becoming a fan, he said “I love this city”. Just perfect. Maybe not as good as “I am Japanese” but very good.

Jays of the Day: Ray (.339 WPA), Dickerson (.152), Kirk (.135), Mayza (.112), and I’m giving one to Romano (.081) because he closed it out with little drama.

Suckage: Bo (-.111 0 for 4) and Teoscar (-.093, 1 for 4, 3 strikeouts).

Tomorrow is an afternoon game (I really wanted to get to the gym tomorrow afternoon, oh well). 3:00 Eastern start.

We had 572 comments in the GameThread. publius varrus led us to a very nice victory.

# Commenter # Comments
1 publius varrus 122
2 Tom Dakers 80
3 Link Floyd 79