Jays Win on Semien Walk-Off Home run

New, 22 comments
MLB: Game One-Boston Red Sox at Toronto Blue Jays Kevin Sousa-USA TODAY Sports

Red Sox 0 Blue Jays 1

All that matters is that Marcus Semien homered on the first pitch of the bottom of the seventh. Re-sign the man now.

Robbie Ray was terrific again. 6 innings, just 2 hits, 2 walks, and 5 strikeouts in his 6 innings of work. He brought his ERA down to 2.90. Ray was super. He did get some help from his defense, but he was in control all the way.

People complained when Jordan Romano came in for the seventh inning, but the manager and pitching coach are much closer to the pitchers than we are. Ray wasn’t as sharp in the sixth, and they could likely see that he didn’t have much left. Buck and Pat keep telling us he stays strong late in the game, but the numbers don’t back that up.

Romano pitched a superb seventh, getting 2 strikeouts. And he gets the win, improving his record to 5-1 this year.

Nick Pivetta was equally as good as Ray, allowing just 1 hit and 1 walk, with 5 strikeouts in his 6 innings. He came out at 76 pitches. I’m sure Red Sox fans wish he was left in for the seventh.

Matt Barnes only threw one pitch, taking the loss.

There was a moment of controversy in the top of the sixth. With two on, one out, Alex Verdugo hit a ground ball to Santiago Espinal at third. He threw to Semien at second, getting the out there. Unfortunately, Semien’s throw to first was a little offline (and late) to first. Lourdes Gurriel made a nice (and needed) stretched-out catch (had he missed it, a run would have scored). Instead, Verdugo stepped over the bag at first. Lourdes had come off the bag but made contact again, getting up.

On replay, they didn’t overturn the safe call. It sounds like New York didn’t run the video far enough ahead to see that Lourdes did touch the bag with the ball in his glove. Some thought the call was made because Lourdes obstructed the bag (his foot was in front of the bag, on the baseline), but the explanation we got was that Lourdes didn’t touch the bag. We saw the full replay. He did touch the bag.

Jays of the Day: Ray (.470 WPA), Semien (.323) and Romano (.147)/.

Vlad had the Suckage number at -.097, most of that on the ground out in the sixth with Springer on first.

Game two is a 7:00 Eastern start.

We had 337 comments in the GameThread EMK19 led us to victory again.

# Commenter # Comments
1 EMK19 47
2 Link Floyd 45
3 Alan F. 39