Blue Jays 11 Orioles 2
It is always best to wait until the last inning before scoring. For those of you counting, we got 11 runs in each of the games today. 15 of our 22 runs were scored in the seventh innings.
We couldn’t hit lefty Keegan Akin. Almost literally. We didn’t get our first hit until the bottom of the seventh when Vlad led off the inning with a single. Thankfully enough, Bo Bichette followed with a home run. That opened the flood gates.
- Teoscar Hernandez singles. That ended Akin’s day. In comes Tanner Scott.
- Alejandro Kirk homers. Kirk must be one of the toughest men on the planet. Earlier in the game, he got hit in the helmet by a backswing. You could tell it hurt, but he still found the popup and made the catch. It was a very needed play, as it looked like Hatch was going to get knocked around in the inning. Four runs on the inning.
- Lourdes Gurriel singled. Dyson pinch-runs.
- Randal Grichuk singled.
- Breyvic Valera scores Dyson with a sac fly. Five in.
- George Springer singles.
- Marcus Semien homers. Eight runs in.
- Vlad singles (for the second time this inning, his two hits were 107.3 and 109.8 MPH). Scott out, Manny Barreda in.
- Bo singles (his second hit of the inning).
- Teoscar homers (his second hit of the inning). Eleven runs in. That was crushed, 445 feet.
- Kirk walks.
- Grichuk walks.
- Finally, Breyvic flies out to reasonably deep center field.
We entered the seventh without a hit. However, we finished the inning with 11 hits and 11 runs.
We got great work out of Thomas Hatch. 4 innings, 3 hits and 2 walks allowed, 3 strikeouts. The only bad moment was a Cedric Mullins home run. He had to work his way out of trouble a couple of times, but he did a great job.
And then, after 4 innings, he came out with a hamstring issue. Hopefully, it isn’t serious.
Joakim Soria and Trevor Richards each pitched a scoreless inning.
Anthony Castro pitched the bottom of the seventh. He gave up a leadoff double, Dyson ran a long way to have the ball go off his glove. A groundout and a strikeout followed. Next, he got an easy grounder to Bo, but Bo bounced the throw, and it got past Vlad. Error #24 for Bo. But the next grounder, he made a perfect throw to Vlad.
Jay of the Day: Bo (.507 WPA). Honorable mentions to Hatch and Kirk (primarily for being so tough).
Suckage: Semien (-.137).
Again, a thing of beauty:
Tomorrow we have a 1:00 start.
We had 582 comments in the GameThread. A much less negative GameThread than the first. I appreciate that, thank you. DangYouToHeck led us to our second win of the day.
Maybe take a moment out to think about all the people lost 20 years ago.