clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Jays sign 11 of 12 Arbitration Eligible Players

American League Wild Card Series: Seattle Mariners v. Toronto Blue Jays Photo by Thomas Skrlj/MLB Photos via Getty Images

The Blue Jays had 12 arbitration-eligible players, and they made deals with 11 of them:

  • Vladimir Guerrero: $14.5 million.
  • Jordan Romano: $4.5375 million
  • Danny Jansen: $3.5 million
  • Adam Cimber: $3.15 million
  • Daulton Varsho: $3. 05 million
  • Cavan Biggio: $2.8 million
  • Santiago Espinal: $2.1 million
  • Tim Mayza: $2.1 million
  • Trevor Richards: $1.5 million
  • Erik Swanson: $1.25 million
  • Trent Thornton: $1.0 million

The one that didn’t sign and will be going in front of the arbitrator is Bo Bichette. Bo has filed at $7.5 million, the Jays at $5 million, which is a far difference.

I’ve seen people saying on Twitter that this means Bo will be leaving as a free agent as soon as he can, which is just silly. Sometimes teams and players disagree on contracts, and that’s what arbitration is for. It doesn’t mean they won’t agree on a long-term contract.

That said, I’m a fan of not going to arbitration. The player (or his agent) stands up in front of the arbitrator and says why he is the best player since Babe Ruth.

Then the club stands up and points out all the flaws in his game. I don’t know about you, but having someone point out everything wrong with you might not be the most fun a person can have. This is where I’d normally make the wife joke, but it is late. Let’s skip it.

Most of us perform best when our employer doesn’t point out all our shortcomings. We know our shortcomings, but being told about them might be hard on us. If I were Bo, I think I’d play best if I were told I was terrific.

Poll

The contract that arbitrator will give Bo is the

This poll is closed

  • 36%
    $5 million
    (331 votes)