clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Today in Silly Trade Rumours

Wild Card Series - Toronto Blue Jays v Minnesota Twins - Game Two Photo by David Berding/Getty Images

I normally ignore trade rumours that seem really dumb, but there isn’t much to talk about this morning, so....

Jon Morosi and Matt Cozzi have each talked about a rumour that the Cubs are interested in trading for Bo Bichette. The Cubs would want him to play third base. And there is no suggestion who they would be willing to give up.

I’m a believer in the idea that I would trade anyone if the offer was good enough. And, unlike some trade suggestions surrounding the Jays, they wouldn’t be selling Bo low.

I’m not a fan of Bo at third base. I think his arm is an issue at short, so giving him a longer throw to make wouldn’t be a great idea to me.

But I can’t see how this would happen.

If there was some thought this could happen, what would you want back? Seiya Suzuki? He’s 29 and would fill an outfield need and has a pretty good back. The Cubs' top prospect with Pete Crow-Armstrong, another left-handed hitting outfielder. MLB Pipeline has Canadian Owen Caissie, yet another left-handed hitting outfielder, as their third-best (and #64 on their top 100 prospects list). He’s at least a couple of years away from the majors.

The Jays couldn’t trade Bo for just prospects, there would have to be proven major leaguers coming back. And, of course, we don’t have an obvious replacement for Bo ready in the minors. I like Orelvis Martinez, but I don’t think he’s likely to stay short.

And I don’t see how the Cubs would want to open a hole in their lineup to trade for Bo.

But if you can think of a deal the Jays would accept, let us know.

The Jays shared some video of the ongoing renovations of Rogers Centre. It looks like a mess at the moment: