clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Hall of Fame Poll: Adrián González

Chicago Cubs v New York Mets Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images

Next up is Adrián González.

I was going to skip him, but he did have a better career than I remembered. It is his first time on the ballot.

He played 15 seasons in the MLB. In 1929 games, he had 317 home runs, 437 doubles, and a .287/.358/.485 batting line. FanGraphs has him at a 43.5 WAR, topping out at 6.9 in a season twice.

He led the lead in hits once, RBI once and walks once.

Adrián’s numbers aren’t that far off Bobby Abreu’s, other than being about 3 season’s worth of games short of Abreu. But then he was a first baseman, not a right fielder (though it was a good defensive 1B).

He was the kind of guy I’d like to have on my team (at his peak), getting on base 40% of the time with good power. His peak didn’t last that long. In that way, he is a bit like Don Mattingly, who, in his prime, many thought he would make the Hall easily, but his peak didn’t last into his 30s. González went from being a player who had OPS numbers in the mid-900s in his late 20s to getting OPS in the low .800s in his early 30s and was out of baseball by 36. González finished beating Mattingly in bWAR by 1.1.

Anyway, it was a better career than I thought, but it was short of a Hall of Famer. But your mileage may vary.

Poll

Would you vote Adrián González into the Baseball Hall of Fame?

This poll is closed

  • 7%
    Yes
    (11 votes)