clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Hall of Fame Poll: Todd Helton

Colorado Rockies v Pittsburgh Pirates Photo by George Gojkovich/Getty Images

November is the worst time to run a baseball blog. There is so little for real news. I don’t want to write about the rumours of a Bo Bichette or Vladimir Guerrero trade.

Next up is Todd Helton.

It is Helton’s sixth time on the ballot. He got 72.2% of the vote last year. So he’s moved up from 16.5% to 29.2% to 44.9% to 52.0 and now 72.2. So he was less than 3% from making the Hall. I think he will make it this year.

Todd was one of those rare players who played their entire career with one team: seventeen seasons, all with the Colorado Rockies.

Helton hit .316/.414/.539, with 2519 hits (98th in MLB history), including 369 home runs (82th in MLB history) in 2247 games. His career bWAR is 61.2.

He hit .315/.380/.430 in 152 games and finished 2nd in Rookie of the Year voting in his rookie season.

Two years later, he hit .372/.463/.698 with a league-leading 216 hits, 59 doubles (also league-leading), 42 home runs, and 147 RBIs (league-leading). He finished 5th in MVP voting.

Todd made five All-Star teams, won three Gold Gloves, four Silver Sluggers, and got MVP votes six times.

He had a streak of five straight seasons with an OPS over 1.000.

Like many guys in the Hall of Fame, he had a very high peak and continued his career long enough to build great numbers. First base is an offense-first position, so 1B need better numbers than guys who play other positions.

I think the Writers discount his numbers because he played in Denver all his career. Larry Walker finally made it. Helton likely will, too.

The National League had some excellent first basemen in his era. He would rank behind Albert Pujols and Jeff Bagwell but not far behind.

Poll

Would you vote Todd Helton into the Baseball Hall of Fame?

This poll is closed

  • 82%
    Yes
    (180 votes)