clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Sportsnet Releases Ben Wagner

Seattle Mariners v Toronto Blue Jays Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images

This is news I didn’t expect. Sportsnet has decided not to renew Ben Wagner’s contract.

I liked Ben on the radio. There were things I was not too fond of much about him, but he seemed good on the radio.

A few years ago, I thought he and Mike Wilner made a good team on the radio. They seemed to be a good pairing and were enthusiastic when they needed to be. And they could find interesting things to discuss when the game wasn’t exciting.

I was less thrilled with Ben by himself. I think few radio guys can carry a broadcast alone, but Sportsnet had a revolving group of people who would be in the booth with him the last couple of years, and I liked that.

Anyway, I’m sorry to see him lose his job. There aren’t many of those jobs in the majors. Hopefully, he’ll find something soon.

There is no word on a replacement, but SportsnetPR says they will announce their radio broadcast booth before the start of the 2024 season.