clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Friday Bantering: More Rumours

San Diego Padres v Chicago White Sox Photo by Quinn Harris/Getty Images

The Blue Jays rumours are running thick.

There are rumours that the list of teams in on Shohei Ohtani has shrunk to three. The Rangers, Red Sox and Mets are ‘reported’ out. The Dodgers, Cubs and Blue Jays are the last teams standing. Of course, that is all rumours.

From Jeff Passan:

Given that, it would be foolish to count out any high-revenue team, though by now the field for Ohtani’s services has winnowed, sources said. The Texas Rangers, Boston Red Sox and New York Mets, who were among the initial group of suitors, have turned their attention to other players, sources said. Among those confirmed by sources to be still in the bidding: the Los Angeles Dodgers, Chicago Cubs, Toronto Blue Jays and Angels. The San Francisco Giants have long had a fondness for Ohtani, though where they stand in these sweepstakes is unknown.

He also tells us that Ohtani could get up to $600 million.

A one-in-three chance? I’ll take it.

When Ohtani gets signed, that should open the floodgates for the other free-agent signings.

And there are rumours that the Yankees are out on talks to trade for Juan Soto. The way things sound is that if the Jays lose out on Otani, they would shift to trying to get Soto. They could put together a package including Ricky Tiedemann and maybe Alek Manoah.

I wouldn’t be against that either.

And Passan also tells us that the Jays are in the ‘mix’ for Yoshinobu Yamamoto. I think that is the biggest long shot of the three.

I’ll admit, the Jays fans on Twitter who tell us that there is no chance the Jays will get either make me laugh. I don’t understand why Jays fans are defeatists. Signing someone like Ohtani isn’t easy. It isn’t up to just the team. The player has free will, too. If the Jays don’t get him, it isn’t necessarily a failure of the front office.

The front office has made some other big free-agent signings. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it won’t.