clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Hall of Fame Poll: Manny Ramirez

Boston Red Sox v San Francisco Giants Photo by Focus on Sport/Getty Images

Next up would be Brandon Phillips, but I don’t think many of us would consider him a Hall of Famer.

Phillips was a good player. He played 17 seasons in the MLB, with 5 teams. 11 of the 17 seasons were with the Reds. In 1902 games, he hit .275/.320/.420 with 211 home runs. He received MVP votes twice, won 4 Gold Gloves, made 3 All-Star teams and owns 1 Silver Slugger award.

He finished with a 28.4 bWAR.

Brandon’s peak was pretty good. He had WAR values ranging from 2.8 to 4.9 over a 7-year period. But in his 10 non-peak seasons, he had a 5.9 bWAR.

He was a very good defensive second baseman, but that doesn’t give a guy the bump that a very good defensive shortstop or center fielder gets.

The Expos drafted Brandon and he was part of a big trade between the Expos and Cleveland. He, Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore and Lee Stevens went to Cleveland for Bartolo Colon and Tim Drew (one of many times the Expos were robbed on a trade near the end of their time in Montreal).

Manny Ramirez was a good hitter....a bit of an understatement. Nineteen seasons, a .312/.411/.585 line with 555 home runs, 1831 RBI and a bWAR of 69.2.

It is his eighth time on the ballot. He was on 33.2% of the ballots last year. In eight years he’s moved from 23.8 to 33.2%, so in 40ish years, he might make it to the 75% level needed for the Hall, but since he only has this year and the next two, I’m not optimistic.

Manny made 12 All-Star teams, picked up MVP votes 11 times (finished 3rd twice, and in the top 10 9 times), won 9 Silver Slugger awards, the Hank Aaron Award, and was World Series MVP in 2004. He finished second in Rookie of the Year voting in 1994 after playing in 91 games.

And I know it shouldn’t impress me, but he drove in 165 in 1999 with Cleveland.

He played eight seasons with Cleveland, eight with the Red Sox, three with the Dodgers, and one with each of the Rays and White Sox.

Manny played left field (1037 games), right (904), and DH (332). He was terrible defensively.

He also played 111 playoff games, hitting .285/.394/.554 with 29 home runs. He has two World Series rings.

On the negative side, he was suspended for PEDs twice. Players lose votes for PED use rumours, but they have proof with Manny. For me, it is often a question of whether the player would have been a Hall of Fame type without the help. Manny is a tough call, but his numbers are terrific. I don’t know how much to discount them because of the PEDs.

He and Andy Pettitte are an exciting pair. Both used. Manny had the better WAR (69.4 compared to 60.3). Both were playoff heroes (Manny holds the record for most playoff home runs with 29). Manny hit .285/.394/.544 in 111 playoff games. He was on two World Series winning teams.

David Ortiz tested positive for PEDs, and he was elected to the Hall his first time on the ballot. I wonder why the two would be judged differently. They were similar, poor defensive players, and a large part of the Red Sox beating the World Series curse (Manny was series MVP). Both tested positive for PEDs. Ramirez had a 69.3 bWAR, Ortiz 55.3. Manny had 555 home runs, Ortiz 541.

But Ortiz was “Big Pappy”. He was happy, friendly, great with reporters.

Ramirez was not happy (though he had his moments), not friendly, not great with reporters.

Ramirez’s stats are here.

Poll

Would you vote Manny Ramirez into the Baseball Hall of Fame?

This poll is closed

  • 68%
    Yes
    (158 votes)