clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Giants Sign Jung-Hoo Lee

Kiwoom Heroes v Lotte Giants Photo by Chung Sung-Jun/Getty Images

Jung-Hoo Lee reportedly has signed a 6-year, $113 million contract with the Giants. There is an opt-out after 2027.

That’s a fair bit more money than Fangraphs figured he would get. Ben Clemens had him getting $60 million over 4 years.

It is also a lot of money for a player who we don’t know how will play in the MLB.

Keith Law said:

He’s a contact hitter with fringy power, reaching double-digit homers in the hitter-friendly KBO just twice in seven seasons, with 23 in 2022 as his high mark. He’s strong enough for doubles power but has to muscle up so much to get to over-the-fence power that it takes him out of his usual swing and approach. He’s a capable defender in centerfield but isn’t a burner and doesn’t have huge range, so he may end up in a corner in MLB. He’s the best hitter in Korea right now, and while the pitching he’s faced isn’t at the level of MLB pitching, he’s done everything you might reasonably ask a hitter to do in that environment, making a lot of hard contact and rarely swinging and missing, with some platoon split and not a ton of power.

We had a poll asking if the Jays should sign him at the four-years, $60 million:

Poll

Should the Blue Jays sign Jung-Hoo Lee if the price is $15million annually for 4 years?

This poll is closed

  • 39%
    Yes, absolutely
    (161 votes)
  • 20%
    Probably, but I’m not enthusiastic about if
    (82 votes)
  • 26%
    Probably not, but I wouldn’t hate it
    (109 votes)
  • 13%
    No, Absolutely not
    (56 votes)
408 votes total Vote Now

Let’s ask:

Poll

Would you have been happy if the Jays had signed Lee for 6 years and $113

This poll is closed

  • 17%
    Yes
    (85 votes)